Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Exclamation What to shoot in a Webley .455???

some info here.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/209...revolvers.html

What do you shoot in yours?? Is modern .45Auto-Rim ammo OK????

(Delaware County)

Default Re: What to shoot in a Webley .455???

IIRC .45AR wont work unless the cylinder is milled for moon clips. If it is milled then .45acp with moon clips is easiest solution. Milling takes away a lot of collecter value, so if this is important to you can try
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/b...spx?c=95&s=882
    That would be proper for Webley in original condition.
    When I had my Webley {milled cylinder}, I shot downloaded .45acp swc with moon clips, because 45AR wasnt available.
    Good luck and enjoy that classic!

Posted too fast, just noticed as with all other ammo in the world, its out of stock at several places!!
    must be that BIG DHS run on .455 webley.
    Last edited by CJR; June 22nd, 2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added
    NRA for life.

(Jefferson County)

.45ACP and .45AR work at higher pressures than .455Webley. The later production Webleys may be able to handle the ACP and AR cartridges, but they would still beat the crap out of the gun. Early to mid era Webley guns would be a hand grenade waiting to happen.

Fiocchi still makes MkII profile ammo. But you may have to special order some due to the Newtown fallout.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Adams County)

you make .455 webley from .45 ar brass. you cut the rim thickness to .050 .so it fits and the cylander rotates.. use bullets of .451 to .454 dia. about 230 gr.

(Montgomery County)

I have Webley Mk VIs both cut and uncut, their Enfield equivalents (yes, Enfield made the Mk VI from 1920-26), S&W MKIIs in 0.455 and 0.45 Colt (reamed through).

NEVER, NEVER use 0.45 ACP loads. These are very close to the proof loads for the Webley.

In the Cut versions, I use 0.45 AR using the Lee 0.455 dies (the sizer is actually a Colt 45 set for 0.454) and then use 255 grain Colt 45 heads sized to 0.454. Roger's Better Bullets ran a few thousand at this size for me a while ago.

Load to give around 630 fps at the muzzle and at 7-10 yds they will shoot to point of aim.

As mentioned, Fiocchi do make a run every now and again but use small primers. Hodgdon (sp?) made the correct 0.455 Webley with the hollow base 265 grain bullet but no longer do. There are two case lengths, the Mk I (longer) and Mk II (shorter) both fit the standard cylinder of the 0.455.

Again 630 fps is the load to aim for. Every now and again Midway will have a supply of Australian (Bertram) brass but it is the Mk I case. Buffalo Brass trim down Colt 45 brass. If you do it, remember to trim from the top of the rim, as Colt rims are thicker than the Webley.

They are great fun to shoot and people ask what they are and then when you tell them that the pistol is almost a 100 years old, they are quite surprised by their accuracy. Really funny when the person asking has a "combat tupperware gun" that produces holes all over the target, even at 10 yds.

Even better when I take out the Enfield Mk VIs and their 20 year younger siblings (Enfield Pistol No 2 Mk 1). Dave_n

Exclamation Re: What to shoot in a Webley .455???

Yeah..I shot a Mk IV recently with some old handloads of 250gr flat point lead bullets over ~4.5 gr Unique..didn't sound very high powered but were pretty accurate for a gun which was 100+ years old. Old war horse sure does get noticed when you stand up at the firing line with one!!! LOL. I'd never use .45ACp but was wondering about modern .45AutoRim ammo. How could one find out about the pressure of 45AR ammo???

(York County)

i have a 1915 S&W N frame that was made for canadian contract in 455. the last 5 on the barrel is milled out and the gun is recut to 45 auto rim or 45 ACP in moon clips. i shoot standard 45 ACP in it on a regular basis, but would not shoot the enhanced blue dot loads that i shoot in the 1970's S&W 25-2 that are faster than 45 super loads. the seller thought it was a 1937 brazillian contract gun...not much difference.