Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Firearm

Smile Re: First Firearm

While most LGSs push towards semi-autos,I recommend first gun to be a revolver ,4'' barrel in 38spl or 357 mag,simplicity in it design,wont be a problem with recoil (38 spl) in D/S action about safe as you can get,and keep your fingger off the bang switch till ready to fire,Also any LGS worth their salt can give several recommendations as to where to shoot. Good Luck. MDT

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: First Firearm

Pilot321, I want to have a fire arm for self defense. I would keep it in my house and likely my car. I would consider concealed carry. I'd like to go to the range and practice to be proficient and safe. I have shot before, not often, and did enjoy it so it would be a hobby as well. I do hesitate to go to gun shops by myself since I don't know much.

Marine Division Two, I don't know anyone who has guns, but I have tried to get some information on pistols on the internet. I have been looking into the 38 special, which you suggested too, since I gather it is a more controllable shot group with a smaller barrel as compared to the .357 pistol. The .357 pistol would be nice though since I can use 38 ammo as well but not vise versa. I am also under the impression that the .357 packs a bigger punch from the 38. Plus, I would eventually like to get a rifle (though that's further done the road) and may consider the .357, though really don't know!

The issue is, especially, all the different options. I have never even shot a revolver. I would like to try out the different pistols before buying, see what type of gun I can handle, before I buy.

Thanks for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by justbreathe View Post
    Also, for some reason the first link that you inserted isn't working for me?

Thanks for the heads up. I fixed the links.

(Luzerne County)

Thanks again with the Info, internet troll, it really helps for a beginner.

(Montgomery County)

Another vote for a revolver here. They are the easiest guns to operate when you're in danger, just pull the trigger and it goes bang.

My first owned by me firearm was a Smith and Wesson 586 revolver, 6" barrel .357 magnum.

Recoil is almost non existent if you use .38 special in it, and a bit stiffer, but still very manageable while shooting .357. .357 guns can also shoot .38. It's my wife's favorite in our small collection. I eventually want to get the same revolver (or the 686, which is the same gun but stainless instead of blued) with a smaller barrel, 4" or less, as the shorter barrel would be easier to carry on my person.

I would normally jump in and say to get a .22 rifle or pistol first (I have both), but .22 is about impossible to find yet, and .38 and .357 are much more abundant.

(Luzerne County)

Justbreathe, my wife and I took the course mentioned earlier in the hunlock creek area, it was through Dynamic Force Institute, you can find him on the internet. I have been a life long hunter and shooter and my wife only had basic shooting knowledge, and we both loved the course. He covers basic gun safety and then more advanced defensive mind set and thought process, plus he does small classes and tailors the course to your knowledge and skill level.

He specifically tells you if you have not yet purchased a gun wait until after the class because he takes you put and lets you fire revolvers, semi autos, from 22 to 45. My wife found out her gun was her least favorite amd purchased one she loved the next day. I highly recomend him. Any further questions please pm me.

(Luzerne County)

Thanks bluetrane2028 and PSUPaul.

I think I am going to email the course instructor for Hunlock Creek and ask him. Thanks alot! This may work out well!

(Luzerne County)

Sorry for the typo's, I really hate typing out long messages on my iPad. If you have any further questions let me know. I just went back to Bob for my hour long follow-up that is included in the course. We covered more advanced draw and fire techniques and it was a lot of fun.

Also, with him letting you fire the different guns you really get to experience what you cannot see in your LGS. Who would have thought that my petite wife would ENJOY firing a .45 ACP so much she went out and bought one the next day!

(Luzerne County)

WBRP Range in Hunlock Creek (Muhlenburg) offers the First Steps course several times a year. Cost of the course is $60. For more information contact the instructor. There is a course coming up in July, it isn't listed on the website yet.
    bjd1085@pa.metrocast.net His name is William Dunn.

Gunone

(Luzerne County)

Hi PSUPaul and Gunone! Thanks for the recommendations for the instructor at Hunlock Creek. I emailed him and he did respond that he encourages people to come to the course who don't own firearms. Plus, there is a pistol they provide for me to use. I'm hoping this will be a good course to attend.

If there are any other ideas, I would appreciate them too!

Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast