Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default Good choice for IDPA

Just wondering what everyone's input was on this. What do you feel is the better gun for IDPA shooting? M&P full size 9mm, M&P Pro 9mm or Springfield 5.25 in 9mm? Currently I am shooting the Springfield subcompact 9mm and want to go full size for IDPA. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Good choice for IDPA

Have you checked out Glock 34?
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Chester County)

It depends on what you want to get out of IDPA. If you want to sharpen your self defense shooting skills with some action shooting, I would pick a pistol that is the closest thing to what you carry. In your case, that's the Springfield.

If you are looking to compete and game the IDPA rules as best as you can, then look at what you think gives you the best advantages for IDPA - long barrels, fiber optic sights, no safeties, light triggers. The Glock 34 and M&P Pro are good starting choices.

(Northumberland County)

Not a Glock fan, just not comfortable for me.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ritter View Post
    It depends on what you want to get out of IDPA. If you want to sharpen your self defense shooting skills with some action shooting, I would pick a pistol that is the closest thing to what you carry. In your case, that's the Springfield.

If you are looking to compete and game the IDPA rules as best as you can, then look at what you think gives you the best advantages for IDPA - long barrels, fiber optic sights, no safeties, light triggers. The Glock 34 and M&P Pro are good starting choices.
    If your carrying a XD, use one at the IDPA shoots. It only makes sense. Hell, use your subcompact. Remember, it is a way for you to get use to shooting your daily carry in a way that might slightly resemble what a real senerio might turn out to be.

As for a Glock or an M&P. It really boils down to what gun you shoot best. The Glock is no better or no worse than your XD. Same for the M&P. I shot with guys that shoot both. They swear their gun is the best one to use. I also shoot with guys that shoot XD's and revolvers, and Colts, etc... They all thought their gun was the best one to use.

There is not one "GUN" that is best for IDPA. It is the gun that you shoot the best. If one gun was best for this event. You would only see "one kind of gun" there and everyone would shoot the exact some thing. But you won't. You will see a variety. Cause what works for you, may not work for me. And vice versa. So, find the pistol that you shoot the best, then use it in IDPA, and start carrying it daily if your not already. Why would you carry a pistol for self defense that you can't compete with is beyond me.

USPSA is different. Rules allow guns and gear to be almost "space gun" like. Guys shoot gear that they could never carry on a daily basis. But IDPA tries to make it a bit more realistic.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Centre County)

A consideration with the M&P line as of late; very difficult to find mags. Of the ones you listed, i would choose the m&p pro (5 inch for me, pls) or Get a regular m&p and install Apex goodies to your liking. I'm not a huge fan of the XD line, feels very top heavy to me.

Glock would probably be the easiest. Multiple trigger options and huge aftermarket support. 17 or 34 would work. Get whichever fits you the best out of the Glocks or M&P's.....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Northampton County)

If you like the SA line, definitely go with the 5.25 ... I personally prefer the M&P lineup so I would go with the 5" M&P Pro (with some Apex love). I currently shoot an M&P9 (4.25) for SSP class but when I build my ESP gun, ill move up to the Pro (5") and when we do steel matches, I shoot an M&P22. All guns are setup with damn near identical sights too so I have consistency across platforms
    Last edited by IntenseImage; June 21st, 2013 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cadet220 View Post
    Just wondering what everyone's input was on this. What do you feel is the better gun for IDPA shooting? M&P full size 9mm, M&P Pro 9mm or Springfield 5.25 in 9mm? Currently I am shooting the Springfield subcompact 9mm and want to go full size for IDPA. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.
    First off, IDPA is a competition that's scored and winners declared. So you have to ask yourself if you're going out with the goal of being top in your division or not? If the answer is no, then shoot what you carry. If the answer is yes, then shoot what will make you the most competitive. Both Glock and M&P have fabulous competition aftermarket options - XD not so much. I shoot an M&P, just because I shoot better with my M&P. I also like the M&P for how easy it is to work on.
    PAFOA Doctrine - If you don't agree with someone, call them a troll and cry to a mod.

(Allegheny County)

To the OP:
    As others have said; it really depends on what YOU want to get out of IDPA.

When I have shot IDPA, it has been with my EDC Glock 19 in my EDC holster; a Kramer horsehide belt scabbard. The only thing that I change is that I add a second mag pouch, I only carry one spare mag on a daily basis.

I use the shoot as a T&E session to run my gear. I have gone to different matches with different goals. Sometimes, to win my division or the match itself. Sometimes to practice my defensive pistol skills. Sometimes to try out different techniques that I have picked up at training. It varies.

Again, you the shooter need to decide what you want to get out of IDPA and then make your decision as to what kind of gear you want to buy and use.

Good luck, have fun.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by cadet220 View Post
    Glock 34 or 17 will be competitive, same thing with the M&P9 fullsize or pro.

The XD's are set in ESP which is an immediate disadvantage to you as a new shooter if you're playing to win.

The excessive slide weights on the XD's hurt their performance at speed as well, so if you're buying a gun to play a game (as you said that you want to) then I would look at the M&P9 Pro or Glock 17/34.

The 17 is a little faster at target transitions due to the lighter overall weight, the 34 is a little better for splits and distance due to the sight radius and softer recoil... it's mostly preference between the different lengths once you hit full-size and longer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast