Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Bill would close concealed carry loophole.

HARRISBURG -- Sen. Richard Alloway II, R-Chambersburg, said on Wednesday that he will introduce legislation to ease the application process for a license to carry a concealed firearm in the Philadelphia area.

Philadelphia has been aggressive in denying its residents concealed-carry permits, according to Alloway. Some Philly residents whose applications were rejected then applied successfully for a permit from the state of Florida. The states have a reciprocity agreement.

Pennsylvania Attorney General Kathleen Kane closed the "Florida loophole" in February with a modified agreement with Florida.

"Our state's gun traffic and permits should never be bypassed," Kane said at the time in Philadelphia. "Closing this loophole shows that it is possible to swiftly implement common sense gun safety measures that protect our streets."

Alloway said Philadelphia has been denying its residents their constitutional rights in rejecting their applications to carry concealed permits.

"I guess it's simply because their anti-gun," said Alloway, chair of the Senate Game and Fisheries Committee. "I put this bill out there to start the dialogue and I'm interested in hearing from all sides on this."
    Alloway's legislation would allow applicants to apply for a concealed-carry permit with a sheriff in an adjacent county. Under current law, applications must be submitted in the place where applicants live, either to the chief of police in a city of the first class or to their county sheriff.

"If a citizen feels Philadelphia is violating his or her rights, then I want to afford them the opportunity to go to an adjacent county and make application there, pay the fee and get the opportunity for a permit to carry," Alloway said.

Alloway said that even as a supporter of the Second Amendment he is not comfortable with another state issuing permits to Pennsylvania gun owners. "They should go through the process in our state," Alloway said.

More: http://www.publicopiniononline.com/l...ry-loophole-pa

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Bill would close concealed carry loophole.

Fairly reasonable as long as someone doesn't add that PA residents can't get non res permits from other states (based on the last part of the text from Alloway.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Totez View Post
    Fairly reasonable as long as someone doesn't add that PA residents can't get non res permits from other states (based on the last part of the text from Alloway.
    I don't think that's what he meant when he said "he is not comfortable with another state issuing permits to Pennsylvania gun owners. "They should go through the process in our state," Alloway said".

What I think he means is that if you live in PA, to carry in PA that you should be able to have a PA LTCF, not get turned down because the Sheriff or COP is anti-gun and won't issues for BS reasons. If you can qualify in another State you will qualify here as well and should not be turned down.

Take States like Utah. To get a non-res permit there you must first have one from your home State. This would make it easier for us to get those other States for reciprocity reasons.

jmho

(Lawrence County)