Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer CC?

(Dauphin County)

Default Summer CC?

As a result of my current job, I have to cc iwb. However, with the advent of the warm weather, I have an issue with rust spots on the slide of my Kahr p9. What do the rest of you do to prevent rust (aside from a stainless gun)?

I liberally clean the gun each morning and night with a sillicon cloth, but that hasn't been the solution.

Thanks!
    in dei gloriam

"Skill in squeezing the trigger is the best life insurance you can get." - WWII Marksman Instructor

(Berks County)

Default Re: Summer CC?

What holster are you carrying the gun in? Leather tends to absorb moisture, so possibly a kydex holster would be better for preventing moisture from contacting the gun.

Alternatively, you could use this as a great excuse to go buy a stainless gun!

(Dauphin County)

I'm wearing a high noon (can't remember the exact model), but it is made of leather. Unfortunately, due to college loans , I can't get a stainless or I would definitely.
    in dei gloriam

"Skill in squeezing the trigger is the best life insurance you can get." - WWII Marksman Instructor

(Berks County)

I'd try to find a comfortable kydex holster. Kydex doesn't absorb moisture. They're not nearly as comfortable as leather, but if you want to protect your gun, you may have to sacrifice some comfort.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm not a big fan of IWB, but when I do I use a Comp-Tac CTAC. It's kydex, it's well-made, and their customer service is outstanding.

What I generally do is wear a light t-shirt under my regular shirt. The CTAC does have a sweat shield (I carry 1911s and HKs), but the t-shirt helps with comfort and moisture. The CTAC is also tuckable, and can be practically invisible even with a full-size 1911 or HK45.

(Fayette County)

I'm a sweater, when it is 75 degrees I will sweat walking to the mail box, lol. But I have been carrying my PT111 Pro in a High Noon Split Decision and haven't had any problems yet with rust yet. Now you have me worried .
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by policemedic View Post
    I'm not a big fan of IWB, but when I do I use a Comp-Tac CTAC. It's kydex, it's well-made, and their customer service is outstanding.

What I generally do is wear a light t-shirt under my regular shirt. The CTAC does have a sweat shield (I carry 1911s and HKs), but the t-shirt helps with comfort and moisture. The CTAC is also tuckable, and can be practically invisible even with a full-size 1911 or HK45.
    +1. Not a big fan of IWB either, but this tends to be the solution for me. My Uncle Mike's holster tends to cover most of the side of the gun though that touches my skin, so even if it's just a loose t-shirt with nothing underneath, I usually don't have issues.

-38SnubFan

(Northampton County)

I have a Crossbreed supertuck. The Gun never touches you and the leather is rather comfortable. The have Horsehide upgrade as they say it handles the moisture better, which is what I got.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

(Venango County)

AMEN to that, I have had mine 2 weeks, worn it every day, great holster if you have to IWB.

as for the rusting.....get a Glock.. (C'mon you know I HAD to)

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by 38SnubFan View Post
    Originally Posted by policemedic

+1. Not a big fan of IWB either, but this tends to be the solution for me. My Uncle Mike's holster tends to cover most of the side of the gun though that touches my skin, so even if it's just a loose t-shirt with nothing underneath, I usually don't have issues.

-38SnubFan
    +1 +1 I am pleased with my CTAC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast