Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Springfield XDS or ???

Thinking of giving the Springfield Armory XDS a try for my next carry pistol. Since the Glock 26 wasn't going to work for me, although I really did like the Glock, I'm looking for something new to try.

I'm guessing it will need to be single stack for me as the 26 double stack was too difficult for me to comfortably operate one-handed. I think this also likely eliminates many double stacks for me and am not going to drop money on another one to find out.

Single stacks have always been comfortable for me, easy for my smaller hands to grip comfortably, especially one-handed, thinking this is where I'd need to stay.

Not looking for a 380, 9mm or 40s&w. I've tried 380 and 9mm a number of times before, just not real fond of either round. I do have other 45 acp's so this is likely where I will stay. So, that leaves me with not much to choose from.

Springfield XDS? Like to give them a try but not sure about reliability yet since they're newer and I would wait a little while to ensure the kinks are worked out.

Officer's 1911's? Have a Springfield Micro GI I was going to use for this purpose. Other than it being a little on the heavy side, and needing to swap out the grips & lanyard, this could work. However, would prefer soemthing lighter.

Kimber 1911's? Not sure I really care for the cheaper versions which are lighter, and the more expensive versions are really nice, but well, uh, expensive.

Colt Defender or New Agend? Possibilities, but a little on the pricier side.

Glock 36? Have one of these two and while I love shooting this pistol, it's really a compact and not subcompact. Perfect for home defense for me, but not sure I'd be able to carry it comfortably.

Anything else I'm missing? Prefer it to be lightweight and reasonably priced. XDS is in the right price range for this purpose, imo.

I've thought about the Springfield EMP, as I do like shooting the 1911's, but price is a consideration. However, if I decided to go 9mm again, not my preference, there are likely a number of options out there which are cheaper and lighter, and just as reliable.

I am, however, more partial to the Glock style safety for carry or home defense. The less to think about, the better, imo. Not faulting anyone else, but for me, I've found I prefer that setup. As I stated, though, not a sticking point as I have considered going with the Officer's 1911's.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Springfield XDS or ???

I know i'll get a lot of haters on this but I have been carrying a Taurus pt745 as my ccw for a few years now and it is similiar in size to the Glock 30 but has a thinner grip. I know alot of people don't like Taurus but this one has been almost flawlessly reliable and pretty accurate for a compact gun.

Looks like you are only looking at compacts but if you want to go full size check out the new ruger SR45. I haven't got the opportunity to shoot one yet but I have played around with on at LGS recently and I really like it. It is a double stack (10 rounds) and the grip seems much better for me than the Glocks I have handled/shot in .45.

Wouldn't fault you at all for going with the XDS though. Just addind a couple of options for ya.

(Westmoreland County)

I've had Taurus before. They're okay. Can say I never had any problems with them but never fell in love with them either. I will look for them. I had considered the Glock 30sf but even in that configuration, it didn't feel right. In fact, if the Glock 26 Gen4 felt right, I'd have switched to it.

Don't worry about recommending 'off' stuff. I've carried one of 2 P32's for a little over 10 years. It may turn out that's my best option for what works for me. And with that, I get two knocks against it: 1) being a Kel Tec and 2) only being 32acp.

But I've found out over the years that there is no perfect gun. If there were, it would've cornered the market and be the only one or type sold. There are many options and it's really about what works for each individual.

(Lancaster County)

Although I dont own one I have shot a few mags through the XDS. It is a solid and reliable pistol. If I had one I would feel 100% confident in it as a ccw. That said, I will never buy one since my .45 acp carry gun slot is already filled with a Kahr P45. I have average sized hands and decided to add stick on grip panels and a rubber sleeve to the single stack grip. If you have small hands it should be perfect out of the box for you. I bought mine used for just under five hundred dollars at Backwoods Outfitters in Columbia. It is a solid performer and an easy carry. If you ever stumble across one check it out you wont be disappointed.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

You are limiting yourself and ruling out some good slim compact pistols by eliminating 9mm or .40.

If you reconsider look at the M&P Shield, Walther PPS and several of the different Kahr models.

(Lancaster County)

Have you tried an xd-sc in 9 or 40? I know its not a 45 but its 13 or 12 rds respectively and feels a shitload smaller than a baby glock and most likely more accurate than you, pretty soft shooting for a gun its size in a real caliber.
    I have had surprisingly few homeless people hire me. - GunLawyer001

I've owned a couple of XD9 subcompacts for carry and they were still a bit bulky for me. I had an LC9 for a couple of years and it was a great conceal carry gun but I disliked the DA trigger. It worked fine for me, but it was the only gun in my collection that was DA only. I recently switched to an XDs and love it. I can still carry it in a pocket holster like I did with the LC9 (larger short pockets) and with an IWB holster it easily dissappears on my body type.

With my baby soft office hands, I found the grip uncomfortable when shooting. The factory grips have some aggressive stipples. I've since added rubber Talon Grips to it and the extended mags.

No failures here with a variety of ammo. The only thing I find annoying is that the slide travel is so short that ejecting a full round is a pain. Always seems like I have to drop it down the grip and never out the ejection port.

If I can get my hands on an XDs in 9mm, I'll probably jump to that and part with the 45 version.
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Philadelphia County)

Shot my new XDS .45 Thursday and put 100 rds thru it. Its a solid shooter and right on target. It feels read good in the Hand but I need the pearce pinky extender for my big hands. Feels like your not carrying anything with the IWB holster on. Two things I didn't really like about the gun is the magazine release is stiff (maybe needs to be broken in). And if you press the barrel of the gun against something( if you have the gun up against a attacker) and the slide moves back at all, you cant pull the trigger.

(Erie County)

Have you tried the XDm 3.8" compact. I know you said double stacks are hard for you to shoot however I'm a pretty small guy (5'7") so my hands are smaller than the average guy's and with the small backstrap on my XDm it fits perfectly, I can shoot it one handed with my off hand very easily, not saying I am very accurate but its easy to hold and control the gun.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by s campbell View Post
    Shot my new XDS .45 Thursday and put 100 rds thru it. Its a solid shooter and right on target. It feels read good in the Hand but I need the pearce pinky extender for my big hands. Feels like your not carrying anything with the IWB holster on. Two things I didn't really like about the gun is the magazine release is stiff (maybe needs to be broken in). And if you press the barrel of the gun against something( if you have the gun up against a attacker) and the slide moves back at all, you cant pull the trigger.
    That's so it doesn't fire out of battery and blow up in your hand. Its a good thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast