Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default McCain Joins Obama to Change Stand Your Ground

A left-wing, looney, opinion from The Buffalo News now repeated/carried by all the major media.

It’s a shame that it took a young man’s death to get the nation’s attention, but at least that seems to be happening. Trayvon Martin was killed and his shooter went free, in part because of the atrocity known as “stand your ground” laws. Now, even some Republicans are questioning those laws, and prominent among them is Sen. John McCain of Arizona, a state with its own version of that misbegotten law.

Florida’s stand your ground law was never formally invoked in the trial of George Zimmerman, but it permeated everything from the day Martin walked through Zimmerman’s gated community to the still-reverberating aftermath of the trial. The law excuses an armed individual, who is in a place where he is entitled to be, from retreating safely if faced with a perceived threat to his life, and authorizes his use of deadly force.

Many observers believe that law is what gave Zimmerman the impetus to confront Martin, even after a police dispatcher warned him not to do so. The jury that acquitted him believed Zimmerman was ultimately acting in self-defense, after the unarmed Martin stood his own ground.

Indeed, in President Obama’s thoughtful comments on the reaction of African-Americans to the verdict – comments that McCain praised – the president made that very point, saying, “I’d just ask people to consider, if Trayvon Martin was of age and armed, could he have stood his ground on that sidewalk? And do we actually think that he would have been justified in shooting Mr. Zimmerman, who had followed him in a car, because he felt threatened? And if the answer to that question is at least ambiguous, then it seems to me that we might want to examine those kinds of laws.”

That’s what McCain is also counseling as Americans consider the terrible consequences of stand your ground. Speaking Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union,” he said he believes these laws should be reviewed in light of the Martin shooting, and that he believes the Arizona legislature will take that step.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...130729524/1074

(Bucks County)

Default Re: McCain Joins Obama to Change Stand Your Ground

Everything eventually turns into a "gun issue". Unbelievable, they always take one example that's "perceived" wrong, then change the laws for the tens of thousands that were saved from it.

The pendulum/scale is tipping into very dangerous territories and these people are pushing to the limit.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Northampton County)

I have to stop reading these threads relating to GZ and TM. My blood pressure goes through the roof when I read the BS the liberal media prints in relation to the FACTS of the case. It's really become a health Issue for me.

*Sigh* The Zimmerman case was not "stand your ground", it was self defense. McCain should have retired a long time ago but he is too much of an attention whore.

(Bucks County)

This is what makes these such dangerous times. Half of those supposedly on the American Citizens team,..... aren't.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    This is what makes these such dangerous times. Half of those supposedly on the American Citizens team,..... aren't.
    Republicans (especially McCain) are not on the American citizens side any more than the Democrats are. This notion that one party is good and they other party is out to destroy America is the reason we are in this mess.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Chester County)

I respect McCain for his military service, and what he went through, however, I think he is a horrible Republican. A true RINO, like Toomey. I've had enough of them.

McCain/Feingold was a tragedy. Often politicians will say stuff just to appease people, but then vote properly. McCain not only says stupid stuff, he DOES stupid stuff, and it hurts us.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    I respect McCain for his military service, and what he went through, however, I think he is a horrible Republican. A true RINO, like Toomey. I've had enough of them.

McCain/Feingold was a tragedy. Often politicians will say stuff just to appease people, but then vote properly. McCain not only says stupid stuff, he DOES stupid stuff, and it hurts us.
    His ego has outstripped his ability. I believe people like him that have been in government for so long feel they have magical powers and their brainy ideas and laws will make a utopia for all.

Hopefully he gets a primary challenge next time.

(Allegheny County)

If that goofy old idjit gets his way - we WILL be in another war in the middle east as well.

Maybe it wasn't such a bad thing that he lost to Obummer after all.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Westmoreland County)

The last two presidential elections didn't matter if you voted D or R, you were still offered the same bill of used goods.
    Home brewing; because Jeeps and ammunition aren't cheap. WILL WORK FOR AMMO & FIREARMS!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast