Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Recommend me a DA/SA

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyishootstuff View Post
    $750 budget?
    Buy two used PD trade in S&W 5906 pistols and have money left over.

/thread
    I own a 5906 and I wouldn't recommend one for CC. I have carried it CC in the winter but they are heavy and uncomfortable. They can also be a pita to field strip.

I would recommend a Bersa Thunder UC Series. I CC a UC 40 that was sold under the name Firestorm.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by afdcomposer View Post
    P239 all the way, as far as I'm concerned. Lovely piece, small enough for most people to CC, but big enough to actually fit in your hand. It's available in .40 and 9mm.

-afd
    ... and .357 SIG

Anything Sig is $$ well spent. On the lower end of the budget scale, CZ75.

You can get into an EAA Witness (CZ75 clone) for a few $$ less than a "genuine" CZ75. I've put over 2000 rounds through my 9mm Witness and it still runs like a champ. I've only replaced the recoil and firing pin springs. It is super easy to shoot and is a natural pointer for me. Its weight eats some of the recoil, so it doesn't beat up your wrist.
    Last edited by daschnoz; June 20th, 2013 at 12:53 PM.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(York County)

"Not because of economy, but because they have the least "offensive" triggers of all the DA/SA systems currently available.__________________TonyF "

That may have been true a couple of years ago, but they can't hold a candle to the trigger on my CZ P-07, or even to the last Sig 2022 I tried out. In comparison, the 59-69 series triggers are heavy with a lot of creep. I'm not saying they can't be cleaned up and improved, they're just not that great stock ( my opinion ).

(Lancaster County)

CZ75, pick a flavor. awesome guns and i really dislike d/a-s/a but i got 2 of these after shooting a friends.
    I have had surprisingly few homeless people hire me. - GunLawyer001

(Susquehanna County)

What the heck! Get the original DA/SA A Smith & Wesson, Colt or Ruger revolver

.38 Spec/.357 Magnum of the likes of the 586/686, 627 Pro, Trooper, Python, GP 100 etc. I suggest a 4" barrel since that length is still fairly easy to conceal and be sure to look in to the used market!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Sounds like none of the striker fired pistols you own are DA/SA. There are some good quality DA/SA striker fired pistols out there, or do you simply want a DA/SA pistol with a hammer instead of a striker?
    No they are all DOA

(Erie County)

Obviously I am going to shoot a some before I make a decision. After some research and your suggestions so far I will be looking at shooting.

Sig SP2022
    Sig P229
    Beretta PX4 storm
    CZ P-07 Duty
    FN FNx
    CZ 75 compact

Any others y'all think I should shoot. Also does anyone know where I can find a place to rent these in the Erie area? Also what all should I look for when shooting them, obviously how it feels in my hand, and how the trigger feels but is there anything different I should look out for with the DA\SA system. Thanks again for all the help

Quote Originally Posted by dj5481 View Post
    No they are all DOA
    There have been a lot of good guns mentioned. If you want to get a great, all around compact carry gun that is also fun to shoot, lifetime warranty, hammer fired, safety, decocker, ambi mag release, super easy take down, good capacity, DA/SA, and still have money left for insanely priced ammo, take a look at this: http://www.tactical-life.com/combat-...urus-809c-9mm/

This is the striker fired version of the same gun with the same options: http://www.tactical-life.com/combat-...pact-g2-40-sw/

I mention these because they are top shelf guns with bottom shelf prices. I have owned many of the 24/7/800 series pistols and they are true to what these articles say about them. I don't like everything Taurus builds, but these two guns are home runs. All the other good stuff has been mentioned (except the P30 HK, but it isn't quite a compact), already.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    There have been a lot of good guns mentioned. If you want to get a great, all around compact carry gun that is also fun to shoot, lifetime warranty, hammer fired, safety, decocker, ambi mag release, super easy take down, good capacity, DA/SA, and still have money left for insanely priced ammo, take a look at this: http://www.tactical-life.com/combat-...urus-809c-9mm/

This is the striker fired version of the same gun with the same options: http://www.tactical-life.com/combat-...pact-g2-40-sw/

I mention these because they are top shelf guns with bottom shelf prices. I have owned many of the 24/7/800 series pistols and they are true to what these articles say about them. I don't like everything Taurus builds, but these two guns are home runs. All the other good stuff has been mentioned (except the P30 HK, but it isn't quite a compact), already.

Taurus is to pistols as DPMS is to rifles. The people that own them think they are fine and can't see why anyone would pay a couple hundred dollars more for "the same thing". The people (like me) who drop the extra coin on Colt and LMT AR's and Sig pistols can't see why anyone would try to save a couple bucks on something that you bet your life on. If its for a range toy, that's fine. but for something i intend to carry, no way would it be a taurus. My opinion and nothing more.

Will add to the CZ75 take your pick crowd. Amazing for the money.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast