Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Blair County)

Question 357 Barrel Length

I am planning on purchasing a Ruger GP 357 wheel gun. I already have a 2.5 inch barrel. I would occasionally carry this, mostly on walks in the woods. Anyone own the 4", 5" or 6" barrel? I will need to display and handle them side by side, but wanted to hear your experiences as well.
    Thank you

Default Re: 357 Barrel Length

I have a 6" GP100 and a 4" Security Six. Both are great shooters, but with the added weight and longer sight radius the 6" is the one I shoot the best. I also like a high viz or bright front sight on a longer barrel.

(Westmoreland County)

If you have a short barrel to carry already maybe get the 6 inch. More fun on the range, most people tend to shoot them better and let's face it having a big ass revolver is just plain cool.

That said I have a 4 inch GP 100. I carry it in the woods and in a pinch can carry it concealed when I feel like it. It's big enough to be shootable but not quite as unweildy as a 6 inch.

If being able to carry it more comfortably is the greater concern 4 inch. If you're more interested in shootability and an accurate range gun 6 inch.

There is a limited edition GP100 5" .357 on Gunbroker now. The longer the barrel the more the velocity however even the 4" will yield respectable velocity.

(Lycoming County)

My favorite length(but they are for some reason more rare) is 5" I think it PERFECTLY splits the difference between the 6 starting to be a bit too long/big/unwieldy and the 4 which is great for say home defense but not as great for say hunting or even range work(not that it does not work I just think the 5 is better)

So IF they are available in what im looking at I will always try to nab a 5" barrel.

I have both a 4" and 6" Dan Wesson revolver in .357 to me it really depends on what your using it for.... or expect out of it.

Just like when revolvers were the "norm" and used pretty much by everyone before the "glock craze" got Police Depts(and others) switched over to semi autos..I always preferred a 3" Revolver for CC over the "true snubby" (the 2- 2 3/4" ones)type CC gun.

I too think a 5" is a near perfect compromise, if you can't find a 5" and you plan on carrying it a decent amount, I'd probably stick with 4".

(Centre County)

If you would like to make a trip over to my shop in State College, I can let you handle all of the different lengths (with different grips). I do gunsmithing part time so it is best to contact me and we can set up a time that works best for both of us. I do most of my work on the weekends but do have evening hours also.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Tioga County)

I have a 4" GP100 that I sometimes OC. It is also my wife's preferred weapon at the range.
    MikeP

Wink Re: 357 Barrel Length

I have an older stainless Magna-Ported (police tread-in) Security Six w a 4" bbl & Hogue mono-grips and shoot it fine. It is well worn in and I like it as a decent compromise between bbl length and convenience. I have been a fan of the old .357 magnum for many years.
    Used to have a smooth S&W Highway Patrolman 6" .357 but dangit it went w the deevorce years and years ago.