Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Need some Philly commuting advice

Can someone please help me with some advice about commuting around Philly? I'm going to a trade show downtown this week, and I'm staying at a hotel in King of Prussia since pretty much everything in the city is booked. I'm wondering:

1) If I drive in, what's the traffic like on the Schuylkill Expressway on the tail end of rush hour, and what's the parking situation like downtown during a big convention, and

2) I'd just as soon try something new and take the train. Are there any stations near King of Prussia that have parking available at 8:30 or 9:00 in the morning?

Also, any good indoor ranges near King of Prussia if I want to do a little shooting Tuesday night?

Default Re: Need some Philly commuting advice

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    1) If I drive in, what's the traffic like on the Schuylkill Expressway on the tail end of rush hour, and what's the parking situation like downtown during a big convention, and
    The Schuylkill is never fun, but the pain reaches its apogee is at rush hour and thereafter. Depending on where you're going, parking can vary. Since it's a trade show, I imagine all the parking around the venue will be full pretty quickly, and getting in/out of the area near the venue will be painful.

2) I'd just as soon try something new and take the train. Are there any stations near King of Prussia that have parking available at 8:30 or 9:00 in the morning?
    I would look into either the Norristown or Thorndale lines of SEPTA and see if you can work either into your travel plans. I've never taken the train in from that part of the Philadelphia area so I can't advise you on which station would be best, but I would highly recommend taking SEPTA in rather than driving.

It may be worthwhile to speak to the folks at the hotel you'll be staying at to see which station they recommend. Heck, they may even have a shuttle that'll take you to the station and pick you up.

Also, any good indoor ranges near King of Prussia if I want to do a little shooting Tuesday night?
    No idea here. I'll let the folks local to that area point you to good ranges.

(Delaware County)

I'd have to second the suggestion to ask at the hotel. While you *can* drive into Philly (and back) at rush hour, I can't imagine ever doing so voluntarily. I'm sure the hotel will provide the best info and assistance.

There are a few ranges in Philadelphia, but I know nothing about them. TargetMaster is probably the next nearest, but it's in a different direction. From K of P you would drive south on 202 *almost* to the Delaware state line, maybe 20-30 minutes. From the city, take Rte. 1 south to 202 and turn left; 30-45 minutes from the city limits. Many people on this forum do not like TargetMaster, but my husband and I have never had a problem there.

Best of luck!

(Philadelphia County)

Unless you're planning on leaving the City for KoP around/after 7PM, you will absolutely hate your commute back to KoP and into the city. I spent 1.5 years on the Shure-kill and try to avoid that stretch as much as possible.

If you are going to park the entire day in Philly, you can only do that in a parking lot. Finding an all-day street parking spot is impossible even if the city is not crowded. There are many of lots around Chinatown and the Convention Center.

Check with your hotel on where best to take the train from. Get off at Market East for the Convention Center area.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Can someone please help me with some advice about commuting around Philly? I'm going to a trade show downtown this week, and I'm staying at a hotel in King of Prussia since pretty much everything in the city is booked. I'm wondering:

It's god awful horrible giant parking lot like. There are two speeds on the Schuykill, crawl and stop. There are plenty of places to park downtown, it's just a matter of how much you'll pay. I like the gateway lot around 15th and Vine Street. It's easy in and out and the cost is pretty low.

(Montgomery County)

Driving in is a terrible idea. Take the train.
    Which train depends on your hotel location.

French creek outfitters is the closest public indoor range. Lower providence is the closest private club.

(Delaware County)

Why dont you just book a room by the Phila Intl Airport. There are literally about 20 hotels there and others within minutes. Center City Philly is literally 15-20 minutes from the airport if you drive. I live in Essington and work in center city. And if you dont ant to drive you can catch the train. Just food for thought. I hope this gave you some other alternatives.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/193181-harty.html

Common Sense isnt that common among people

(Montgomery County)

Agree with Harty. I hav lived in the KofP area for more than 40 years. Pick an hotel near the airport. There are a few that back onto the airport line at the stop before the airport. 20 mins or so into Center City, train every 30 minutes. Dave_n

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Thanks everybody for the advice! I'm at the KOP Holiday Inn Express with a great 6th floor view of the Walmart across the highway. Three mile drive to the Strafford station, plenty of free parking at the K-Mart .5 mi away; nobody shops at K-Mart anyway. Two days of walking around talking to suppliers, two nights in KOP, then across the state on the Turnpike again. Man, I'm living' large.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks everybody for the advice! I'm at the KOP Holiday Inn Express with a great 6th floor view of the Walmart across the highway. Three mile drive to the Strafford station, plenty of free parking at the K-Mart .5 mi away; nobody shops at K-Mart anyway. Two days of walking around talking to suppliers, two nights in KOP, then across the state on the Turnpike again. Man, I'm living' large.
    And there is a Hooter's across the parking lot, if you want some wings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast