Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Son wants a G20

Default Son wants a G20

My boy wants to trade me his 1911 for $400 and then use the cash towards a new G20. He works as a guide on occasion (http://teamsrr.com/) and wants something a little lighter to carry. Anyone have one of these with a lot of rounds on it? Also, I've never held one...how does it compare to the size of a non SF G21? How controllable is it when rapid firing?
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Default Re: Son wants a G20

They make/made a G20 and a G20 SF just luck the G21. Gun is the same size as the G21. Glock also makes a G20 Gen4 with the replaceable backstraps to adjust grip size.

The real hot 10mm loads can have some issues in the stock barrel. The few loads the major ammo companies put out for 10mm are down close to .40sw velocities. You have to go to the small boutique loads. Guys always brag up the 10mm as a .41 magnum in pistol form when it reality it is not up to the same level as the .41mag. Recoil will depend on what loads you run. The loads close to .40sw velocities obviously will be tame. If he just needs a sidearm to carry when guiding down in FL a nice FMJ or Hardcast load should handle what he encounters.
    Last edited by dkf; June 16th, 2013 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    They make/made a G20 and a G20 SF just luck the G21. Gun is the same size as the G21. Glock also makes a G20 Gen4 with the replaceable backstraps to adjust grip size.
    Thanks. I haven't even done any research on one, yet. His best friend and guide buddy carries a G23, so I suspect he wants a little more juice than his friend. You know 22 yr. olds.

What issues are there with the hotter rounds?
    Last edited by harold63; June 16th, 2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: forgot how old my kid is...changed age

The real hot rounds some of the boutique ammo companies sell can often have case failure near the feed ramp area with the OE Glock barrel. Glock was concerned more with reliable feeding. The companies that sell that ammo usually recommend a tighter aftermarket barrel with more support.

(Philadelphia County)

I don't know about that... I have a G20 and fired a lot of "full powered" Underwood loads. Zero problems. I also asked him if their loads were OK with stock barrels, and he said there'd be no problems. So far, he's right.

I think most of the aftermarket barrels are because of the .40 kB! debacle, and people wanting longer barrels. 10mm Glocks don't seem to kB! like the .40 Glocks - but then again, what does?

Of course, kabooms don't seem to happen without reloads, anyway.

Guy on another forum KB his G20 with factory Winchester a few years ago. Overcharged round that Win paid for. Underwood recently had a bad batch of 10mm out with nickel brass which failed so I would check your brass. Some of the pics I have seen posted of the hot boutique 10mm brass after firing is not pretty. Thus some of the warnings. For years the .40 and 10mm barrels were almost identical at the feed ramp area. more support was added to the .40s over a decade ago but I don't know when/if they did that to the 10mm barrels.
    Last edited by dkf; June 16th, 2013 at 05:35 PM.

(Northumberland County)

I have a Gen 2 G20 with over 3000 rds of factory 10mm thru it and no real issues. The grip is wide though (front to back) and some of my friends do not like it. It's as accurate as other Glocks, it does have a little more recoil but not as much as my G29. I typically carry a 10mm custom Kimber and just love the 10mm in a 1911 platform. I assume he knows the prices and availability of the ammo?
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

(Philadelphia County)

Guy on another forum KB his G20 with factory Winchester a few years ago. Overcharged round that Win paid for. Underwood recently had a bad batch of 10mm out with nickel brass which failed so I would check your brass. Some of the pics I have seen posted of the hot boutique 10mm brass after firing is not pretty. Thus some of the warnings. For years the .40 and 10mm barrels were almost identical at the feed ramp area. more support was added to the .40s over a decade ago but I don't know when/if they did that to the 10mm barrels.
    Yup, and that same person says that he doesn't think the Winchester ammo was at fault, he thinks it was the used barrel that he had bought from someone. He suspects it had a hairline fracture. But don't take it from me, here's the quote...

Originally Posted by CanyonMan
    Man if you coudn't find it, I'm sure I can't haha.. It was a couple years back. The short version was this.

I bought a used G20 barrel from a Glock armorer and trusted him. I fired (that day instead of ny reloads) factory WW Silver tips. bang, bang, BOOM !

WW took the blame as Glock would not help me at all.. And winchester gave me a free brand new G20SF.

But, we are not so sure it was a double charge from their ammo. We ar far mor inclined to think it was a hair line fracture in the chamber of the barre from some very ad mis-use before I got it.

That is the very short story...

DO NOT let this worry you one bit. do what is right and safe, and you should never have a problem, but do know that with any firearm on the planet this can happen to any one at any time even with factory ammo in any type of semi or revolver... I been shooting since I was 10 years old, and this hapened when I as 58 years old... so go figure ! haha

Stay safe. do not worry.
    Have fun !

CM

Quote Originally Posted by ragequit View Post
    Yup, and that same person says that he doesn't think the Winchester ammo was at fault, he thinks it was the used barrel that he had bought from someone. He suspects it had a hairline fracture. But don't take it from me, here's the quote...
    With the crap ammo I have got and all the reports of crap ammo from Winchester over the last several years I would not be so inclined to dismiss the ammo. Regardless we will never know.

What year/gen is your G20? Do you know when/if Glock upgraded the 10mm barrels like they did the .40 barrels?

What chamber (factory barrel) has the better support, IYO...the Gen. 3 or 4? He says he has access now to a Gen 3 with about two hundred rds through it, 100 rds of ammo, and holster for $500, but would go Gen 4 (new) if it is better than the 3.

ETA - Gotta forgive me here...Glocks are not something I do a lot of research on.
    Last edited by harold63; June 16th, 2013 at 05:52 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast