Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Phoeniox Arms .25 acp = garbage/Hearing damage?

I just shot a Phoeniox Arms .25 acp today. I never shot a .25 acp before only .45's, Ar-15 and other bigger calibers but WITH HEARING PROTECTION.

My dads girl friend I guess had that little pistol so he was letting me shoot it.
    At first I thought my dad bought it from someone and I asked him how much he paid for it since its a $100 something gun. He said it was his girl friends, I then told him how cheap that gun was and he said "You can't buy guns 100-200"
    then I laughed in my head and told him you can buy a Hi point way better than that lil .25 acp in .45 acp.

Anyways

In the back of my mind I thought wow phoeniox arms, I always herd they had problems when I read and watched reviews.

So my dad had a pizza box with a x in the middle he laid about 20 feet away.
    I think the magazine only had 5 rounds which is terrible.

He hit the box twice while firing super slow, both hits where near the outside of the box not too close to the middle at all but still hit.

Now I thought the gun would be hard to aim but since the recoil was soo non existent I was able to shoot it rapid fire pretty fast, I wanted to see how it would play out in a real life situation.

Well I hit right in the middle of the x from 20 feet away and hit 2 more times with rapid firing a pistol I never shot before. so 3/5 but all where within the circle so to say the least if that was a person they would have been having fun.

But!!!!

I loaded another magazine with 5 rounds because thats all it has.
    My dad said 3 shots for me 2 for him.

I decided to shoot it one handed and the gun jammed on me after the first squeeze. Man I literally know those guns are garbage now because I just shot it within 2 mags it jammed. Just a heads up for those who want to buy one.

Also

I was wondering about hearing damage with a .25 acp, I shot it with no hearing protection and my ears where ringing. Whats weird is my left ear was ringing but not my right? It almost feels as if my left ear was clogged up with cotton a bit. The ringing has gone done now its been about 2-3 hours.

I'm just wondering if only shooting those 1 in a half mags would damage my hearing.

By the way, silent my ass, I've herd people say they shoot quiet, ya I call bull shit, its so quiet it rings my ears for over 2 hours and just now starting to calm down.

I guess to a AR-15 its quiet but when people say quiet I imagined it not ringing my damn left ear!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Phoeniox Arms .25 acp = garbage/Hearing damage?

A friend of mine had the 22. It worked fine any time we shot it.

Hearing protection - unless you are firing subsonic ammunition, outside - with a sound suppressor... is pretty much mandatory. You know the rules. They exist for a reason.

Most gun shots are in the 130-160db range. All well in the range to do permanent damage to your hearing. Imagine that ringing lasting... forever...

(Jefferson County)

Noise levels are relative to the working pressures.

25K to 27K PSI is what the 25ACP works at. It has the potential to have a higher noise than the 45ACP which is 21K to 22.7K PSI.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Dang, I thought a .22lr was loud out of a Ruger SR 22. When I got my Astra A200 in good working order, I tested it in my back yard and used toilet tissue as a quick noise deadener. I could still hear it with no problem.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

I had ear plugs in shooting a AR-15 and it sounded like m80's blasting off right next to me every trigger pull.

But I'm just wondering if only shooting those 6 rounds of that .25 acp with no ear plugs hurt anything. I still hear a slight ring in my left ear and it sounds like my left ear is cloggy sounding I'm just wondering if its going to stay like this.

I'm also wondering why the hell my left ear was ringing but my right ear wasn't wtf?

Check this out: http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/edu...-hearing-loss/

And this: http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml

If I had to guess about why one ear rang, but the other didn't, I'd say either you have a small blockage that kept the Db level down enough in the no ring ear or that your ear was in a position to let the report hit the ringing ear, fully, and the non ringing ear was simply blocked by your head.
    Last edited by harold63; June 15th, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Chester County)

I have the same gun in .22lr. I bought it, I'm guessing, about 10 years ago, used, at an auction. Paid no more than a $100 after tax and fees.

That sucker is LOUD for a .22lr. I've shot a 22 rifle with no hearing protection since I was 12 (who hasn't) so i didn't think I'd need plugs for the Phoenix. First time, one shot from my Phoenix, I went and got my plugs.

Never Had an issue with mine, but I don't shoot it much.

(Philadelphia County)

cap guns are loud. 22lr are loud. always wear eye pro and ear pro.

(Chester County)

It's amazing how loud little pistols can be. I wouldn't worry about your hearing too much from that mag and a half, I shot quite a bit without hearing protection when I was your age and my hearing is fine 15 years later. Who knows about later.

You said an AR sounded like an M80 with ear plugs, that isn't right, you probably didn't have them in right, I prefer muffs, I could never get plugs to fit right/feel right in my ears, of I had them in "correctly" they hurt.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ICEN View Post
    I just shot a Phoeniox Arms .25 acp today...

So my dad had a pizza box with a x in the middle he laid about 20 feet away.
    I think the magazine only had 5 rounds which is terrible.
    Phoenix .25 and a pizza box tossed out on the lawn for a test fire. Lookin' good, Dawg, pass the crack

I was wondering about hearing damage with a .25 acp, I shot it with no hearing protection and my ears where ringing. Whats weird is my left ear was ringing but not my right? It almost feels as if my left ear was clogged up with cotton a bit. The ringing has gone done now its been about 2-3 hours.
    There is nothing unusual about only ringing one ear with a few shots. Any time that happens it is bad. However, I have blown both ears out dozens of times. Although I have a measurable hearing loss, I seem to be able to hear noises and carry on normal conversations. But I am only in my 40s as of yet and do tend to speak a bit loud.

You should be fine if you stop doing that. And don't for a minute take my example to mean it is OK to shoot without hearing protection, it's not. Talk to me in 20 years. Or, better yet, write it on a piece of paper so I can read it. Many people are not as "lucky" as I have been so far, either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast