Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Springfield Armory 1911's - WTH???

Just looked at the line of 1911 pistols from Springfield for 2013. No 3" 1911's any longer? WTH? Where'd they go?

Are they now forcing everyone into either an XDS or EMP?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Springfield Armory 1911's - WTH???

Quote Originally Posted by SwampFoxZ71 View Post

Are they now forcing everyone into either an XDS or EMP?
    Impossible as there are too many other manufacturers out there.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Are you talking about a .45 3"?
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Cumberland County)

Who cares?

3 inch 1911, asking for trouble.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Who cares?

Very true in some cases.

Super short 1911's definitely are not for everyone. If you are used to shooting pistols that are on the forgiving side, whether full size, or carry; you likely will not like a short barrel 1911. If a person understands why the short barrel is harder to shoot than a long barrel, they have a better chance of getting the short barreled 1911 to work right.

The short barrel of a 1911 drops at a steeper angle than the longer barreled version does, which in turn changes the geometry of the feed ramp, and makes it steeper. There is also more force, or binding, on the muzzle of the barrel at that angle, which is why a bushing is not used on a short barrel. It just will not succumb to that steeper angle when the barrel unlocks from the slide.

The slide is smaller and lighter and will not have the same momentum that a heavier, full size slide will have. Also, the slide has to pick up a new round right against it. There is no momentum building as the breech face comes in contact with the new round. It has to rely solely on the strength of the recoil spring to pull the round out of the mag and then pull it into the chamber, yet the spring cannot be so strong that it will not fully cycle under recoil with standard power ammo. If you're using a magazine that doesn't have a strong spring in it, then you're going to be dead in the water right there. The follower spring has to be strong enough to get the new round up and ready to pull out in time where with a 5" 1911, there are a couple extra milliseconds before the breech contacts the new round.

There is an ultra fine balance in getting all these angles and spring rates to work optimally. Fortunately, those that are building these little buggers, today, have it sorted out. What they cannot do is make an individual shoot the gun like it needs to be for all these things to come together at the exact moment (or perfect timing). If you want to use weak ammo (hand loads, say...) or you insist on a relaxed grip, then you'd be wise to stay clear of the ultra short barreled 1911's. Tweaking anything on one to get it to shoot under a relaxed grip or cool ammo will do nothing but cause the slide to beat the shit out of the frame and you're still going to end up with an $800 to $1200 paper weight.

ETA - I have handled and shot a number of Kimber short barrel 1911's. My best friend has had one now for about 6 months and it makes him grin every time he dumps a mag through it...and nothing gets this dude to grin, much. You can definitely get it to easily malfunction if you purposely try to.
    Last edited by harold63; June 15th, 2013 at 07:50 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

Yes, I was referring to all of Springfield's shorter than 5" barrel 1911's. They used to list a complete array of 3" and 4" 1911's. Not any more, they only have one 4" Champion listed, the rest are gone as well as all of the 3" models.

This is where I was going with are they forcing everyone who wants a short barrelled model to either go with an EMP or out of 1911's altogether with their XD line.

Glad I bought my GI Micro when I did, then. Just wish I had never sold my GI Champion.

I understand about the compacts being more problematic, but it's always nice to have affordable options out there. The 5" and Commander size pistols may work for everyone, and I have carried them before, but being only 5' 6", they're a little bulky for me to lug around all day.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampFoxZ71 View Post
    but being only 5' 6", they're a little bulky for me to lug around all day.
    Dude, I'm 6ft 195lbs, and they are bulky for me. The Mrs. and I are both looking at the Kimber line of 3 inchers. You can find some used SA short barrel 1911's out there, and yes; they are much more cost friendly than the Kimbers. http://www.armslist.com/posts/174713...t--45-cal-1911

ETA - every micro SA 1911 in .45 I found has been sold, so it looks as if they are a little harder to find than the 3.5" model.
    Last edited by harold63; June 15th, 2013 at 10:19 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Dude, I'm 6ft 195lbs, and they are bulky for me. The Mrs. and I are both looking at the Kimber line of 3 inchers. You can find some used SA short barrel 1911's out there, and yes; they are much more cost friendly than the Kimbers. http://www.armslist.com/posts/174713...t--45-cal-1911

ETA - every micro SA 1911 in .45 I found has been sold, so it looks as if they are a little harder to find than the 3.5" model.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/21...-trade-ak.html

Thanks, but I was looking at them for reference to the post. We are going the Kimber route for our SB 1911's.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Who cares?

I have had 3 now not one ever had an issue to date 2 sa 1 kimber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast