Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Police show up at friend's house after ammunition purchase

A friend of mine just let me know that 2 cops showed up at his house looking for him. They spoke to his father, and after some prodding, admitted that it was because they were investigating his legal purchase of 500 rounds of 9mm ammunition at Harry's Army Navy in Trenton, NJ. He paid with a credit card.

I'm shocked and appalled at this. As I told him, I find it outrageous that the store released his personal information. He mentioned that warrants have been given for receipts of sold goods in the past. I said I would be amazed if a judge would issue such a broad warrant for all sales of 9mm ammunition in a very large area. The officers that showed up were Hamilton PD. The store and Hamilton are about 10 miles apart.

I suggested he contact the store to express his displeasure at having his privacy grossly invaded, and find out if the police did actually have a warrant. If so, although I can't imagine they did, I'd love to know on what grounds it was issued. Only in the People's Republik of NJ... If they did not have a warrant, I think there are grounds for a media blitz and/or lawsuit, although sadly I bet many anti's are perfectly okay with the government monitoring purchases of ammunition.

What's next? Investigations when people buy flammable liquids and something 10 miles away burns down, or a little league coach buys 10 baseball bats and someone gets beaten to death?

Thoughts?

Edit: My attorney friend tells me that you have no rights to privacy as a customer unless the terms of the sale explicitly say so, and that they can disclose whatever they want to public officials. Damn.

Chris
    Last edited by chrisaka; April 23rd, 2008 at 10:11 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Police show up at friend's house after ammunition purchase

I bought thousands of rounds at a time at boths Dick's and Walmart and I never had a problem. Maybe the clerk called the cops for some odd reason??

(Bucks County)

Just added a quick edit to my first post.

Also, apparently the police are investigating a string of shootings in Trenton... I guess 9mm is teh round of choice for gang-bangers?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisaka View Post
    Thoughts?
    Need more facts. One, I'm assuming your buddy lives in NJ.

I'd like to know on what basis the gun store owner notified the police. Did he just do so voluntarily and if so, why. If he did so voluntarily, that alone might have alarmed the police (as in why is a gun shop calling us about a purchase? maybe we ought to look into this, etc.)

A warrant requires a showing of probable cause to believe that a crime is or is about to be committed. If the cops themselves said it was a legal purchase, there's no way they had PC and so I'd be very surprised if there was a warrant.

If it happened to me (a warrant on a lawful purchase), I'd be inclined to file a complaint and if that wasn't resolved to my satisfaction, sue.

I buy it cheap and stack it deep and I know plenty of others who do the same. If the cops had to come to my door for every purchase of a measley 500 rounds, they'd be awfully busy.

(Bucks County)

Yes, he is a New Jersey resident.

I'm not convinced the store notified the police - he has purchased hundreds of rounds at a time before with no issues. Maybe the police asked stores to notify then of "large" purchases of a certain caliber... maybe they showed up and asked for a stack of receipts for all sales in the past x days. I'd like to know. He purchased the ammunition alone, and is an average looking, clean-cut white male in his late 20s. I doubt the purchase raised any eyebrows.

The cops did not say "legal purchase," that was my description. After all, when is a purchase of 500 rounds of 9mm illegal?

Thoughts on how to pursue? Write a letter of complaint to the store?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post

I'd like to know on what basis the gun store owner notified the police. Did he just do so voluntarily and if so, why. If he did so voluntarily, that alone might have alarmed the police (as in why is a gun shop calling us about a purchase? maybe we ought to look into this, etc.)

A warrant requires a showing of probable cause to believe that a crime is or is about to be committed. If the cops themselves said it was a legal purchase, there's no way they had PC and so I'd be very surprised if there was a warrant.

If it happened to me, I'd be inclined to file a complaint and if that wasn't resolved to my satisfaction, sue.

I buy it cheap and stack it deep and I know plenty of others who do the same. If the cops had to come to my door for every purchase of a measley 500 rounds, they'd be awfully busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post

If it happened to me (a warrant on a lawful purchase), I'd be inclined to file a complaint and if that wasn't resolved to my satisfaction, sue.

If that's true, they'd be camped outside my door!

(Monroe County)

I purchase 1,000 round at a time, mix of 9mm, .40, and .45 acp. Never had that happen to me before.

What happen if some one purchase with cash? Then the store would have no information who bought the ammo. This is bull. There is absolutely no reason the store to reveal the identity of their customer.

Beside, what kind of criminal would purchase ammo with a personal credit card and then commit a crime to leave a paper trail. It doesn't make sense.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.
    http://www.flybynighdesigns.com/vwtopdog/Avatars/44Magnum.GIF

When purchasing anything on a credit card you are automatically creating a paper trail right to your front door.

It is possible that the store is being "watched" because of its location?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    When purchasing anything on a credit card you are automatically creating a paper trail right to your front door.

It is possible that the store is being "watched" because of its location?
    I doubt it. The store is less than a mile from a middle-class+ suburban neighborhood where I used to live. It isn't walking distance to any urban areas or anything.

Either way, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to be able to make a legal purchase with a credit card and not be questioned about it by police simply because someone else used a similar item for criminal purposes.

Chris

(Philadelphia County)

This is insane. Thank God I don't live in the People's Republic of New Jersey.

If this were me I'd be writing letters to local government officials, my congressman and the police of chief. I'd also have a lawyer send a very daming cease and desist letter and find out if I have a possible cause for litigation, but no doubt the cops will make something up to cover themslves - like this guy fit the description of a felony suspect, which maybe he did, but this guy is owed an explanation.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast