Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default new shooter 45's Dilemma

Plain and simple I am a new shooter and I want a 45 as my next purchase.
    But here is the major head hitting the wall moment I want it two tone black and Flat dark earth, And glocks just are not my kind of gun.

I was looking at the M&P 45, Fnx 45, or go all back with the FNX 45 Tactical or Spring field xd or xdm series.

I just wanted some opinions cause im leaning to the M&P for cost ect...

(Berks County)

Default Re: new shooter 45's Dilemma

Have you handled or fired any of these guns on your list? the sex appeal of a pistol is important, (does it look exactly as you dreamed?) but more importantly is how it fits your hand, how well you are able to point and shoot it. i actually own a couple guns that i love the look, but don't really care for how they feel in my hand. so i never really shoot them. you can always buy whatever gun you want and have it cerakoted

(Crawford County)

I buy guns based on feel first. Looks are a distant second.

That said....everything looks good in stainless!
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by brsims View Post
    I buy guns based on feel first. Looks are a distant second.

That said....everything looks good in stainless!
    Bah! Everyone knows that looks help improve your accuracy and speed.

A P220ST is what you need.. if you can manage to track one down.

(Chester County)

nothing in 45 i do have an M&P 9 full size that was my first pistol love the way it feels, thats why im staying away from glocks just cant stand the feel of the grip.
    i did love the feel of the fnx 45 but it was stainless and i would rather have a full stain less over poly frame. and i like the round count and possible 15/14 in the m&p but with the m&p i like the smallest back stap and the fnx just as it sits is on top.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by thorazine View Post
    Bah! Everyone knows that looks help improve your accuracy and speed.

A P220ST is what you need.. if you can manage to track one down.
    If it looks and feels good so much so that you want to shoot it and feel confident with it then yes looks to improve everything, and i would love a p220st

(Lehigh County)

Highly recommend the M&P45. I recently picked up a full sized version in a trade and I am very impressed by this gun. As a 1911/.45 guy, I never really gave these newfangled Smith's much of a look.

Curiosity got the better of me though and I am glad it did. I really cannot speak to the legend of the gritty triggers on these as my gun came to me all "Apexed out" and thus the trigger is amazing.

Shooting-wise, and quite apart from the trigger, I found this gun to be an extremely smooth feeling gun to shoot. Not sure how or why, but the recoil seems a bit more linear than my 1911's in that, the muzzle does not toss itself quite so high and the recoil feels different, somehow lighter.

Anyway, the M&P45 is the real deal.

D

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.um View Post
    Highly recommend the M&P45. I recently picked up a full sized version in a trade and I am very impressed by this gun. As a 1911/.45 guy, I never really gave these newfangled Smith's much of a look.

Curiosity got the better of me though and I am glad it did. I really cannot speak to the legend of the gritty triggers on these as my gun came to me all "Apexed out" and thus the trigger is amazing.

Shooting-wise, and quite apart from the trigger, I found this gun to be an extremely smooth feeling gun to shoot. Not sure how or why, but the recoil seems a bit more linear than my 1911's in that, the muzzle does not toss itself quite so high and the recoil feels different, somehow lighter.

Anyway, the M&P45 is the real deal.

I agree with Dr. Um's impressions above.

I'm a longtime 1911 fan but recently bought two used M&P45C pistols, one is an earlier version in all black, and the other is a later-production in two-tone black and dark earth:

The trigger on the all-black pistol was very gritty, but rather than spend the $$$ on Apex parts I simply polished the contacting surfaces of the firing pin block, it's bore in the slide, and the sheet metal lever that actuates the FP block. I also radiused the 45-degree bevel on the lower end of the FP block. These simple mods made a WORLD of difference in trigger pull. NO gritty feeling, and it seems lighter in pull. Much more repeatable in that I can predict when it will let off. And BOTH pistols hit to POA at 20-25 yds, the range I typically shoot handguns. No 12 oz pop can, 20 oz bottle, or standard size claybird on edge on the berm is safe from these M&Ps at that distance.

Code13: IMO, if you like the M&P9 so well and want a two-tone 45 ACP pistol, start looking for a M&P45 or M&P45C in FDE (flat dark earth) and you're good to go.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Bucks County)

cerakote is always an option if you find a gun taht you like in .45 that doesnt come factory coated

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    cerakote is always an option if you find a gun taht you like in .45 that doesnt come factory coated
    I like waht prices Brownell's has on their Cerokote packages.

ETA - combined with one of these, you can do just about any kind of Cerokoting you want to if you don't have an air gun or other means: http://www.worldpaintsupply.com/prev...int-spray-gun/
    Last edited by harold63; June 15th, 2013 at 11:22 AM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast