Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default sticky mags on a marlin 795

I am in the middle of building up a marlin 795 and recently picked up 3 25 rd promags for it n when I put the mag in it is a very tight fit and extremely hard to take out. I am wondering if anyone else on here has had the same problem and how they fixed it. I was thinking maybe polishing the metal to see if that will make it a little easier. Any help will be appreciated

(Bucks County)

Default Re: sticky mags on a marlin 795

i think the promags are thee problem...i wouldnt polsih or touch anything on the guns magwell personally and try to modify the mag to fit better

unless thats what your plan was but there is no metal on the promag 25 rounders so nto sure what your talking about in terms of polshing waht?

ive used promag's on the marlin 795 i shoot and never had an issue although they are a little more snug than factory mags, nothing that alarms me and not hard to manipulate as you stated

(Allegheny County)

I've never used promags, but the regular mags on my 795 were super tight. Always have to hold the mag release and yank to get it come out. Part of the reason I don't really like that rifle anymore.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post
    I've never used promags, but the regular mags on my 795 were super tight. Always have to hold the mag release and yank to get it come out. Part of the reason I don't really like that rifle anymore.
    what year is your 795? i dont seem to have these mag issues...they are snug but not hard to get out or yank out?

(Franklin County)

I was thinking of polishing the magwell but thinking it might be a bad idea from what I have read. The gun is new so hopefully it will loosen up over time. i know the promags have no metal I was talking about the magwell its self. The gun is currently torn down cause I'm putting in a dip trigger and guard as well as replacing the stock springs.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by spooky326 View Post
    I was thinking of polishing the magwell but thinking it might be a bad idea from what I have read. The gun is new so hopefully it will loosen up over time. i know the promags have no metal I was talking about the magwell its self. The gun is currently torn down cause I'm putting in a dip trigger and guard as well as replacing the stock springs.
    let us know how that trigger works out the stock trigger pull is crazy for a semi auto .22

id stay away from touching the gun's magwell as i stated before...let us know how it shakes out

(Franklin County)

Smile Re: sticky mags on a marlin 795

I surely will let ya know how the trigger n trigger guard swap works out. I'm hoping to order the spring kit next paycheck then it will be 90 percent done. All that will be left to do is reinforce the stock with a metal bar and epoxy it in, fill in the butt stock so it don't have that hollow sound and pick up a scope and rings. Then she will be done!!!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by spooky326 View Post
    I surely will let ya know how the trigger n trigger guard swap works out. I'm hoping to order the spring kit next paycheck then it will be 90 percent done. All that will be left to do is reinforce the stock with a metal bar and epoxy it in, fill in the butt stock so it don't have that hollow sound and pick up a scope and rings. Then she will be done!!!!
    going to drill nail heads with it

(Berks County)

I try to steer clear of promags.....they make crap for the most part.

Here is what you can try, take a black magic marker, "color" the magazine where it inserts in the magwell, remove the magazine and look to see where it is binding by scrape or rub marks on the sharpie. Get some fine sandpaper and remove a little plastic from that area. Repeat until it works, if it works.

Don't touch the mag-well.

Pro-Mag motto, "If you need mags real bad.....we have real bad mags!!!"
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    going to drill nail heads with it
    Lol that's the idea. Also a buddy of mine has a 10/22 and I wanna show him that for what he paid for just the rifle, I've built a tact driver!

That's a good idea to use the sharpie on the mag, once its back together ill give that a try

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast