Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Glock 19C barrel replacement

So the other thread regarding Glock vs. XD got me thinking....

I carry a Glock 19C...I (stupidly) never really thought about it, but the posters seemed quite wise in the advice to never carry a compensated pistol for self-defense because of the possibility of powder/gas burns in a SHTF situation. So I've decided that I want to buy a non-ported replacement barrel for carry purposes, and keep the ported one for range use. A few questions...

-I can do this, right? There's no issue with keeping the ported slide and dropping in a non-ported barrel?

-I imagine I'm gonna have to do this through a FFL transfer, with the whole serial # thing, right? I would imagine the average LEO would have an issue with me carrying a pistol with a barrel that's serial # doesn't match the one on the grip. How do I document this, so as to assuage suspicions that the factory barrel wasn't used in a double murder and I pitched it in the Monongahela river?

-Finally, any advice on which is the best option? Looked around there's about a $100 difference between them. SHould I go factory Glock? Storm Lake is cheaper, only about $100...EFK, KKM get close to $200, is it worth it? Is a match grade barrel stupid for a carry pistol, or is an upgrade an upgrade regardless?

Thanks dudes...
    Pittsburgh, PA

I also am a huge metalhead. PM if you wanna talk music.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Glock 19C barrel replacement

Just buy the barrel and drop it in. No FFL. If you arent shooting matches dont drop the dough on a match barrel.

no problems.

(York County)

I also carry a 19C on occasion. I can't say I've experienced excessive flash or debris thrown by the ports (even using Wolf 9 mm which is a bit hot and very dirty ammo).
    Of course, I do wear glasses and they are the safety type lens so I'm not too concerned.

Since I do carry this pistol, I have considered the standard barrel (as Shawn wrote...it's a drop in swap (very easy) and does not require going to a dealer. The OEM Glock barrels aren't cheap though.

(Allegheny County)

I've had a G22C for a number of years now and like the previous post I've never experienced the powder and residue I hear mentioned so often. As to the "blinding flash" of the ports, I've shot my G22 and G35 in night conditions and its been my experience that the muzzle flash is more a matter of which ammo you use rather than the ports.

FWIW, the debate over compensated pistols was tested by one of the gun magazines about ten years ago, with white cardboard being held 6" to 12" above the ports. The article debunked the muzzle & powder damage theory. If I remember correctly, the folks who wrote the article said you would have to hold the ports 2" to 3" from a skin surface to feel the flame or residue.

All that aside, if you would feel better with a standard barrel or if you're going to shoot IDPA, then get one. IMHO though, barrels are not a good thing to go cheap on. I would get the Glock or one of the top lines (BarSto, KKM, Etc.)

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for hte advice, all!
    Pittsburgh, PA

I also am a huge metalhead. PM if you wanna talk music.

(Westmoreland County)

I have found that the C models have more of an issue of increased noise than any kind of danger from the upward blast of gasses. I have never shot one at night, but it sounds like the flash myth has been busted by 1832.

They shoot flatter, but are significantly louder.

If you swap out the barrel and get a rifled model (instead of the standard polygonal), you will be able to shoot lead bullets and save some money.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"