Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKS problems

(Allegheny County)

Default SKS problems

My trip to the range today ended well but began with frustration. After many months of making the necessary modifications to turn my Yugo SKS into a US compliant rifle, I finally made it to the range. It would only fire one round at a time before it would jam shut on the next round, fail to eject with the slide remaining closed or fire two rounds and jam shut. The latter condition required the use of the pole holding up the roof over my head and enough force to push the slide open and eject the empty or remove the spring housing and relieve the force on the slide. I was leaning towards a gas leak of some sort, but since it did fire 2 rounds before it jammed, I'm now thinking that it is the POS 30 round Promag I got for $25.00. What do you SKS experts think?

(Pike County)

Default Re: SKS problems

Quote Originally Posted by glock4life View Post
    My trip to the range today ended well but began with frustration. After many months of making the necessary modifications to turn my Yugo SKS into a US compliant rifle, I finally made it to the range. It would only fire one round at a time before it would jam shut on the next round, fail to eject with the slide remaining closed or fire two rounds and jam shut. The latter condition required the use of the pole holding up the roof over my head and enough force to push the slide open and eject the empty or remove the spring housing and relieve the force on the slide. I was leaning towards a gas leak of some sort, but since it did fire 2 rounds before it jammed, I'm now thinking that it is the POS 30 round Promag I got for $25.00. What do you SKS experts think?
    What mods have you made to it? I use 20rd tapco mags in mine without an issue.
    I have heard that there may be issues with an aftermarket gas piston used in an original gas tube.

Maybe post a couple pics.

(Cumberland County)

you may want to list the parts you changed out. this would help us. gas piston, gas tube, hammer, recoil spring ect. all the above could be suspect. btw why make this (us compliant)? is this a ground up build from a kit?

(Allegheny County)

I replaced the gas tube, the piston removed the grenade launcher, bayonet, lug, flip up night sight, added ak74 style muzzle brake, added dragonov stock, had a smith change out safety and some springs in the trigger group.

did it work before you changed out the parts? make sure your gas port is clear.

(Allegheny County)

I thought Yugos were already "compliant" with nothing needing to be done to them - at all.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Do you need a new gas valve?
    ...and they have a plan...

(Lehigh County)

Just a stab in the dark here, what about the gas block? On a yugo, to remove the sights, the block must be put in manual made. It has 2 settings, manual and auto, are you sure you left the plug in it and moved it back over to the recycling position? Also try the stock mag, aftermarket usually tends to suck unless you do some fitting. Why did you remove the lug, or all that other stuff, there was nothing that needed to be changed? What did you have a smith do? And why?

Big question: Did it work before you !@#$%^&* with it?

I'd bet he swaped parts to make it 922r compliant, an sks is compliant AS IS but when you put a folding stock , "high cap mags", flash hider, etc. It becomes an "assult rifle" and MUST comply (same goes for saigas) since you are changing ist status from an "Importable sporting rifle". My buddy had a yugo in stock condition and it would only cycle 1 brand of ammo slightly enlarging the gasport fixed it.

The sks, what an under rated rifle. Had my yugo out on sunday shooting steel plates @ 400yrds (iron sights).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast