Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Glock jam (sorta)

Yesterday a guy at the range had brought over a glock 26 no magazine. The gun did not fire and he stated that the reloads were not working well for him with this gun but worked fine in his other firearms. The slide would not rack back. Upoun closer inspection, I could see it was not fully seated into battery. The extractor had not bumped over the rim of the cartridge. First thing I did was push on the extractor to see if it was free. It did move very small amount for me but still the gun would not rack out. About 30 seconds of this it hit me to try and push the slide forward. (D-oh!). That did it, it closed with a bit of a push, he fired it, and it ejected. ( I believe out the grip with no mag.) He mentioned there may be a problem with the recoil springs. He'd did a quick field strip and things looked ok. The spent casing had a little nick in the rim.

So I'm wondering what may have caused this. Sticky extractor? Weak recoil spring? Bad reload?
    "Governments... derive their just powers from the consent of the governed."

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Glock jam (sorta)

I had some of the same issues you describe with my first go around with my 9mm reloads in my glock 19- turns out I was not fully sizing the case in my Dillon 650 and the slight case bulge was not letting the round fully chamber - was a bitch getting them out. Funny thing is that the same rounds worked fine in my Sig 226. I now use a chamber gauge to randomly check my 9mm reloads.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by prospero1919 View Post
    turns out I was not fully sizing the case in my Dillon 650 and the slight case bulge was not letting the round fully chamber - was a bitch getting them out.
    Same issue my buddy had.

Thanks,

Hoover

(Luzerne County)

I call B.S.

Glocks don't jam.

(Chester County)

By any chance was he using semi-jacketed rounds with the truncated (flat) nose?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by silkworm View Post
    By any chance was he using semi-jacketed rounds with the truncated (flat) nose?
    I couldn't tell you. I never saw the bullet, only the casing. He brought it over without the magazine. I handed it back to him once I got it closed. Figure he should fire his own gun. If it locked back up, I figured it'd be better to work with a spent casing over a live round.
    "Governments... derive their just powers from the consent of the governed."

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post
    I couldn't tell you. I never saw the bullet, only the casing. He brought it over without the magazine. I handed it back to him once I got it closed. Figure he should fire his own gun. If it locked back up, I figured it'd be better to work with a spent casing over a live round.
    I ask because I've had problems with truncated rounds feeding properly in my Glock, something about the angle just seems to slow the action up and I've had quite a few like you described where it fails to close completely. I simply just don't shoot those any more, and even the fully jacketed truncated rounds don't give me a problem.

Glocks must have tight chambers that do not like swollen reloads. I have seen this a few times where people had trouble with jams and slides not going into battery. A few rounds of WWB always made the owner go WTF...why do they work? It has been with reloads every time. Honestly, I have never seen a Glock not work with factory ammo. The only broken Glock I have ever seen was a G17 that was being dry fired. (G17...and he dry fired it, a lot).
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Chester County)

He needs to make sure the brass gets a full resize. He probably used range pickup brass from a gun with a very loose chamber
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Monroe County)

If the guide rod is not perfectly centered upon reassembly and is off to one side a glock can lock up tight. Is it possible that this is what happened?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast