Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Training?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Training?

ok so here is the question at age 19 can i take any defensive handgun classes?

I have been shooting since i was about 2 i am a pretty decent shooter but would like to take a defensive handgun class but not sure if i am too young.

the second issue is i am a very poor college student. lol ( aren't we all?) and want one possibly this summer at a decent price i honestly cant afford as much as some of these courses cost.

i would like a beginner level course.

Any recomendations would be great.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Training?

i would suggest checking out the FIRE institute's page:

http://www.fireinstitute.org/

they offer their training to anyone who is over 18 and doesn't have a criminal record.

as far as price, their courses are much cheaper than most places. however, their 3 day basic tactical pistol class is still $385 (plus you need 600+ rounds of ammo, so that is another chunk of change). that is an extremely good price for a 3 day class, but still a lot of money to a broke college student (believe me, i have been there, so i feel your pain).

they also offer a one day class for much less money, though, that you might be interested in. it only costs $45.

obviously the one day class won't get nearly as in depth or cover nearly as much material as the 3 day class, but it will still be worlds better than nothing and you might be able to swing $45 even on a broke college student budget.

you can see course desription for both the 3 day class (called "basic tactical pistol") and the one day class (called "one-day handgun clinic") on their web site.

i think some people from PAFOA have taken the one-day clinic and said they got a tremendous amount out of it, so even if that is all you can afford, i bet it would be money and time well spent.

and the guys at the FIRE institute are really stand-up, great guys. (and TonyF and PeteG are the main guys there and both are PAFOA members.)

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Training?

The three day i might be able to swing next year if i can get a second hobby job this summer but i could for sure swing the 1 i will look into it thank you so much for the advice!!!