(Union County)

Cool Mall Security Guards to......

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010201094.html

From Monitoring Teens to Minding Terrorists

Mall Security Guards to Receive New Training, but Feasibility Is Questioned

By Ylan Q. Mui
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, January 3, 2007; D01

The job of a shopping mall security guard normally involves controlling rowdy teenagers, finding lost children and patrolling parking lots. But starting this month, malls across the country will begin training guards for another task: fighting terrorism.

The 14-hour program is being developed by the International Council of Shopping Centers, a trade group, and the Homeland Security Policy Institute at George Washington University at a cost of $2 million. It is the first standardized anti-terrorism curriculum written for the nation's estimated 20,000 mall security guards.

Developers of the program say it is crucial to safeguarding shopping centers, which have significant economic import -- as evidenced by the billions of dollars spent at malls during the holiday season -- and have emerged as modern-day town centers, with movie theaters, restaurants, and now grocery stores and gyms.

"Many different facets of our society since September 11 have had to take the stark realization that bad people might try to do bad things," said Paul M. Maniscalco, a senior research scientist at GW who helped create the program. "Security is really paramount in large enclosed malls. . . . . These events, when you respond to them, you make or break it in the first 20 minutes."

Not everyone agrees, however, that America's malls face a serious threat of terrorism. And some critics question the effectiveness of the training when the private security industry suffers from high turnover -- most guards leave the job within a year and some in as little as four months, according to estimates from the Service Employees International Union.

"There is no justification for this," said Ian S. Lustick, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania and author of "Trapped in the War on Terror." "It's too diffuse a problem. There's a security problem in any public place. . . . The retail industry and shopping malls is just one little part of that."

The training focuses on making guards more aware of the effects of terrorist attacks and helping them recognize potential attackers. It ranges from the understanding the characteristics of the nerve agent sarin (especially dangerous in enclosed spaces because it vaporizes quickly) to spotting suicide bombers (look for unusual dress, like a heavy coat in the middle of summer). The program is being tested at a handful of shopping centers, including the Mall in Columbia, and is planned to be rolled out over the next six months.

The Department of Homeland Security categorizes shopping centers, along with other easily accessible public places, as "soft targets." Since the 2001 attacks, the Smithsonian museums and national monuments have been among those increasing security, and the Washington Convention Center recently said it was beefing up emergency preparedness training for some workers.

Yet the retail industry has treaded warily. Customers expect shopping centers to be free and open, and malls are loath to introduce stringent security measures, as airports have done, that might limit shoppers' access -- or scare them off altogether. Though security officers are usually uniformed, they are not intended to appear threatening.

"Their job is to be welcoming," said Robert Rowe, director of development for the American Society for Industrial Security, an advocacy group for private security officers. "The shopping mall doesn't survive unless people come."

General Growth Properties Inc., which owns Tysons Galleria and the Mall in Columbia, has already restricted access to the roofs of its buildings, said David Levenberg, vice president of security and risk management. The Columbia shopping center recently installed a video surveillance system, a wall of 16 monitors and eight video recorders filling a tiny security office.

"You want to see the sales slip?" said Bill Burley IV, director of public safety and security at the mall, as he directed one of the more than 100 cameras to zoom in on a shopper looking at jewelry.

But a report released early in 2006 under leadership of the Police Foundation, a District think tank, found that although some malls have made changes, they have not been enough. The study, funded by the Justice Department, cited lack of coordination with local law and emergency forces and financing for new technology. It highlighted poor training of mall officers in terrorism awareness and response as one of the industry's main challenges.

That thinking broadens the responsibility of security guards: Mall security directors surveyed in the report put loitering kids as their top concern, with terrorism second. Only 2.5 percent required guards to have some college education. Less than 1 percent mandated a degree in criminal justice.

Robert C. Davis, lead author of the study who now is senior research analyst at Rand Corp., said it is not feasible to teach mall guards the complex skills needed to identify potential terrorists, who are tracked through highly developed intelligence networks. He contends there is little malls can do to prevent an attack -- they can only react to one.

"The biggest things malls can do is have really well-developed, detailed emergency response plans and rehearse them," Davis said. "The best thing they can do is respond effectively."

Maniscalco said the curriculum focuses on awareness and response and was developed with the same materials used in training courses for emergency responders and law enforcement, tailored for mall security officers.

The instructional DVD was shot at the Boulevard Mall in Las Vegas. One lesson shows a man dressed as a janitor with a hose who seems to be watering plants in the food court. But there is no badge on his uniform and his eyes are scanning the crowd rather than looking at the plants.

Actually, he is spraying dangerous chemicals into the air, Maniscalco said. And instead of following an instinct to rush to the scene -- and possibly exposing themselves to the chemical -- guards should block off the area and call police, he said. The DVD also has live footage of terrorist attacks from New York to Russia, including the carnage following a suicide bombing in Israel.

"This is all real-world, everyday stuff that the security officer will encounter," Maniscalco said.

In fact, a man was arrested in December for plotting to use hand grenades and a pistol to disrupt Christmas shopping at a Rockford, Ill., mall. Two years ago in Columbus, Ohio, a man with alleged ties to al-Qaeda was indicted for wanting to shoot up a local mall. He is awaiting trial.

Still, there has been never been a terrorist attack against a U.S. shopping center. William Flynn, director of risk management for Homeland Security, said there was no intelligence to suggest shopping centers were in danger. The handful of reported threats seem to have come from lone wolves rather than organized cells, skeptics say.

"I wouldn't say let's classify every shopping mall in the country as critical infrastructure and start handing out federal grants" said James Carafano, a homeland security expert with the Heritage Foundation. "Putting a lot of money in this doesn't make much sense."

The initial rollout of the curriculum is being funded by the International Council of Shopping Centers, and companies that provide the private security for the country's shopping centers have agreed to participate, council spokesman Malachy Kavanagh said. Financing for the future has yet to be determined, but Kavanagh said the group plans to apply for federal grants. Flynn said he supports the program and that Homeland Security has conducted risk assessments at several shopping centers across the country.

One of the first guards to go through the new training program was Lt. Al Pineiro, who has worked at the Mall in Columbia for the past 10 years, starting part-time and recently going full-time. A former Army recruiter, he was at the National Guard facility in Silver Spring on Sept. 11, 2001. He recalled watching one of the World Trade Center towers crumble on a big-screen television with his fellow soldiers.

"I was shocked that it happened so close to home," he said.

Pineiro said the anti-terrorism training recalled the lessons he learned in the months following the attacks. It took him several days to complete the course, and he aced the final exam.

"It just reminds us that we have to stay alert," he said. "We can't afford to get complacent."

Everyone can shop safely in Malls.....because of the new training requirements for the Mall Ninjas...

When shopping everyone now can have a warm and fuzzy feeling.

grizz

Default Re: Mall Security Guards to......

YOU! YOU WITH THE BOMB, NO RUNNING!

While I agree that malls are a great target, and there has been multiple shootings in the last year resulting in fatalities, I don't think standard mall security personell will be adequate to stop a determined suicide bomber or other type of attack.

Yet one more reasons malls should not restrict concealed carry.

If your a reader, Tom Clancy's "Teeth of the Tiger" actaully has a damn good mall scenario in it.

The shooting in Tacoma could have been prevented if the guy that was carrying would have just shot instead of issuing a warning.
    Last edited by jdlv4_0; January 5th, 2007 at 01:16 PM.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Bucks County)

Mall Ninjas of the world unite to become Mall Ninja Voltron. Is a mall a likely target, yes, do security guards have the ability to do much, probably not. A local mall in the area did an interesting thing a few years back, they have a police precinct inside one of the vacated stores in the mall, as well as the usual mall security. I don't know, but it seems we are starting to grasp at straws at what is feasible and still be the same country our forefathers founded.

[QUOTE=Jhiaxus;21057]Mall Ninjas of the world unite to become Mall Ninja Voltron. [QUOTE]

LMAO.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Philadelphia County)

I wonder how long till we have the following...

*Paramilitary Raids by Mall Security shooting 80 year old ladies and kiddos at the video game stores who happen to be holding PS3 controllers.

*Magnetized ribbons on cars all over America saying "Support our Mall Troops"
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Erie County)

Please tell me they make an RTF. I want to join the mall RTF squad. Maybe those mall ninja stories were actually true? Who knew the threat of long range sniper fire at a mall was actually true!?!?

Where does Homeland Security come up with this shit

My favorite part

The training focuses on making guards more aware of the effects of terrorist attacks and helping them recognize potential attackers. It ranges from the understanding the characteristics of the nerve agent sarin (especially dangerous in enclosed spaces because it vaporizes quickly) to spotting suicide bombers (look for unusual dress, like a heavy coat in the middle of summer). The program is being tested at a handful of shopping centers, including the Mall in Columbia, and is planned to be rolled out over the next six months.

The link doesn't work anymore?
    Last edited by KeithPA; January 5th, 2007 at 02:08 PM.

(Union County)

Sorry about that link, try this one.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010201094.html

Just as long as the Mall Security trainers remember to cover proper duct taping of ceramic trauma plates to clothing (you know, for when you're taking multiple .308s in the back) and tactical use of cover fire with sub-guns in crowded shopping situations.

grizz

(Perry County)

Keeping in mind that many malls now have police substations in them, I can't see that an unarmed mall security guard is going to be effective...even with a whopping 14 hours of training. This is simply feel-good window dressing to make the general public feel safer. If you don't want to go through the expense of hiring competent armed security personnel who have been trained, at least don't adopt a no-carry policy so I can't protect myself.

Dave G.

(Perry County)

Sorry, I disagree. Let's change the scenerio from a terrorist to just some nut running up and down the mall shooting anyone he comes across. It's about protecting yourself. I could also be about protecting others if the opportunity presents itself and doesn't lend to you getting yourself killed in the process.

The same can be said for a terrorist. Now, you may not have notice before the BOOM. But maybe...just maybe, there's 5 seconds where he (or she) is standing there yelling Allah Akbar and you can do something to prevent it.

When push comes to shove, YOU and only you are ultimately responsible for your own survival.

Dave G. - getting off his soapbox

Quote Originally Posted by leverguy View Post
    Just a question. No flames please. What does mall security have anything to do with CC? A couple jihaddis go into a mall, blow themselves up along with 100 more folks, and your going to do what? If anything, CC would be a liability in this situation as you would be held suspect for some time....which means legal costs etc. In the worst case you might be blown away by LEO in the panic afterwards if you were brandishing. I don't think it would ultimately end up bad for you if you keep your cool but the hassle and possible legal expense wouldn't be too much fun. Please tell me where my logic is wrong.

(Union County)

Quote Originally Posted by leverguy View Post
    Just a question. No flames please. What does mall security have anything to do with CC? A couple jihaddis go into a mall, blow themselves up along with 100 more folks, and your going to do what? If anything, CC would be a liability in this situation as you would be held suspect for some time....which means legal costs etc. In the worst case you might be blown away by LEO in the panic afterwards if you were brandishing. I don't think it would ultimately end up bad for you if you keep your cool but the hassle and possible legal expense wouldn't be too much fun. Please tell me where my logic is wrong.
    HOMELAND SECURITY uses terrorism as the new 'smoke and mirror' excuse to keep each and every American on edge these days.

Personally, I think this is just another money and power grab using the flimsy excuse of safety.

My crystal ball says that in the future, "terrorism" will be the ever increasing, ever "in our faces" reason for 2A infringment.

grizz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast