Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Thinking of a .45

So I'm looking for some advice. I am thinking about hi-cap, possibly a Para or Springfield, maybe Glock. I've been seriosly contemplating single action, though I've heard the XD45 has a feel very similar to the BHP, which you might notice in the upper left here. I would also prefer not to spend more than $700 - $750. So, what should I be looking at? I DO NOT want to start the Kimber-Springfield-Colt arguement here, so just factual evaluations if you would be so kind.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Default Re: Thinking of a .45

You left out the HK USP, you can go single action, cocked and locked, or DA/SA
    I really like the USP for that feature, however I don't care for the location of the mag release just under the trigger guard at the junction of the grip and guard, but could get used too it.

While I don't care for polymer, if I ever were to buy a poly .45 it would be Either the USP or the XD.

Otherwise I'd get a PARA P14 limtited LDA. Those LDAs have the sweetest DA only trigger pull I've ever felt. However if you get a Para I'd suggest getting one in stainless steel or getting the Parakote taken off and refinsihed as it doesn't hold up that well (IMHO).
    Last edited by jdlv4_0; January 5th, 2007 at 12:10 PM.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    So I'm looking for some advice. I am thinking about hi-cap, possibly a Para or Springfield, maybe Glock. I've been seriosly contemplating single action, though I've heard the XD45 has a feel very similar to the BHP, which you might notice in the upper left here. I would also prefer not to spend more than $700 - $750. So, what should I be looking at? I DO NOT want to start the Kimber-Springfield-Colt arguement here, so just factual evaluations if you would be so kind.
    Single stack vs double stack is your big decision-tree divide.

If hicap: I've heard in general that the hicap Paras are not always reliable. YMMV. Glocks would be reliable, but blocky. I have no first hand knowledge of the XD45, although I've never heard of one being unreliable AND they fit your budget. H&K USP is proven and reliable and can be single action, and just within your budget (esp if used).

Another single action option, but you seldom see them in stores, is the new CZ in .45.

(Bucks County)

Of the double stacks you mentioned, the XD45 has the slimmest grip. I've shot one side by side with my Glock 21 and in my opinion the XD wins hands down as far as grip fit and comfort goes. If you're into BHP's, the Glock and Para may be too big it fit your hands.

For single stacks it really comes down to what feels the best in your hands. I've always been amazed at how different 1911's feel differently to me. A Smith and Wesson 1911 should be in your price range too.

(Berks County)

If you're thinking double-stack, and want to go 1911-style, Springfield has one based on their GI model:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=11
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Philadelphia County)

I dont have much experience with other guns, but I can certainly recommend the XD line.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Chester County)

As much as I love shooting 1911 style guns (I have more than my share of shiny Colt's)-- if you're looking for a carry .45, the Springfield XD is the way to go.

The trigger is outstanding, they're light, 100% reliable, and the hold nearly twice as many rounds as a single stack 1911.

If you're in to polymer guns, they beat the snot out of anything else on the market. I shoot my XDs as well as my 1911s. To be honest, the only gun I shoot better than my XDs is my HK P7M8.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Bucks County)

I am another advocate for the Springfield XD-45, I just bought another in dark earth last night, definatly a gun I would with me if I carried a full size.

(Bucks County)

I've been looking at 45s for a while myself, and am leaning towards a SIG 220. Before you make your choice, I would definitely test fire one of these. I had a quote of $720 for a NIB SIG 220 Stainless.

(Bucks County)

Well lets see, I have the XD-45, Para 1911 & Taurus 1911 and love them all. I would say this however, if this is your first .45 I would go with a 1911 since its a classic and all should own at least one. Taurus will give you the most bang for the buck. Afterwards get the XD, the Para, the Glock, the......

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast