Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Want to get NRA instructor cert.

I was wondering if someone could explain the process and what the class entails. What should I know beforehand other than gun safety? Thanks all.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Want to get NRA instructor cert.

The class is pretty simple. Find someone who is certified to teach the instructor classes, like a NRA training counselor.

I got my cert a few years back and went through this guy:

http://advancedfirearms.org/Page_PP2O.html

He made the class fun and interesting.

Here is the link to the NRA site:

http://training.nra.org/training/bec...nstructor.aspx

To become a Certified NRA instructor classes you must:
    1. Be 21
    2. Complete the NRA Basic Instructor Training (BIT) class in person.
    3. Complete a discipline specific course Pistol, Rifle, etc.
    4. Submit a Pre-course Questionnaire together with your application for the class.
    5. Undergo the NRA Pre-course Qualification, written, hands on and shooting.
    6. Complete the instructors course by teaching your discipline from the NRA
    manuals to an instructors class.
    7. Attain a 90% or higher on the instructors written test.

You will have to do some sort of "qualification" before being able to take the class. It's not big deal, as long as you know and follow the shooting fundamentals.

Once you get into the class, they will teach you the BIT portion, which is basically how to teach the NRA way and there teaching philosophies. Once you complete that portion, you will go through the actual basic (pistol, rifle or shotgun, whatever discipline you signed up for) class as a student and as a teacher. You will have to teach a portion of the course (assigned by the instructor) to your fellow classmates. Range drills and some other goodness and then take a final exam.

If I missed anything else, someone else please chime in. Like I said, I got my certification several years ago and might have forgotten something.

AG

Quote Originally Posted by ffrandy View Post
    I was wondering if someone could explain the process and what the class entails. What should I know beforehand other than gun safety? Thanks all.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Cambria County)

Wow, you would think that the NRA would offer something like this at a bit of a lower price tag. Having good trained instructors is important. And at $300 a pop, you are probably going to miss out on people that would have been great instructors, but don't want to fork out that kind of cash for the class.

Now, if you can "make money" doing this afterwards. I may think it would be something to consider spending money on. But I always assumed that NRA courses, well the instructors aren't paid very well. Course, I could be wrong.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Wow, you would think that the NRA would offer something like this at a bit of a lower price tag. Having good trained instructors is important. And at $300 a pop, you are probably going to miss out on people that would have been great instructors, but don't want to fork out that kind of cash for the class.

Now, if you can "make money" doing this afterwards. I may think it would be something to consider spending money on. But I always assumed that NRA courses, well the instructors aren't paid very well. Course, I could be wrong.
    NRA instructors set their own class fees. The instructor certification does not mean you're an NRA employee, it just means that you're teaching with the methods approved by the NRA and using NRA approved materials.

If you're teaching a lot of classes, there is some nice extra money to be made.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post

You are correct, as far as not making alot of money on the basic courses, unless your charging a ridiculous amount.

I work for a friend who runs his own company. I have seen other places charge alot of $$ for a basic pistol class and in that case, they would be making good money.

We offer our basic class at a very affordable price, so that many people can afford to take it. We don't make a lot after all the bills have been paid, but we make a little pocket change.

I started teaching because this is something I love to do. Teaching new shooters the fundamentals and then having them shoot and have something go off in their head and say "I get it" is great. We also offer more advanced classes and have had many of the students come back for these classes and build upon all of the basic stuff they learned in the NRA class.

It also helps me break it down to the officers (LE) I work with when I run practice sessions with them (I am also an MPFI-- certified pistol/shotgun). Being able to use simple lessons from the basic class to correct minor things our guys do (or not do) is great and it shows when we do our qualifications.
    Last edited by xx AG xx; June 9th, 2013 at 10:37 PM.