Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Your average gun cleaning time?

Quote Originally Posted by dgreene View Post
    Depends on the gun. I have 3 mosins 2 of which shoot milsurp which is corrosive, they get a windex wash right at the range, then a very thorough cleaning at home probably an hour or so. The bores are clean tho I did the JB non embedding and then shined them with the polish.
    You polish the bores? Never heard of that before. When I am done cleaning, I always run a mop through to get a thin coat of rem oil for protection. But in 30+ years, I have never taken the time to actually polish one after shooting.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa.Sniper View Post
    You polish the bores? Never heard of that before. When I am done cleaning, I always run a mop through to get a thin coat of rem oil for protection. But in 30+ years, I have never taken the time to actually polish one after shooting.

No no, only once when I first got them. They all had great bores just dark groves, used the non-embedding bore cleaner on a jag with some kroil, got the groves really clean did not take much maybe ten strokes (I don't really remember but it wasn't much) and maybe 5 or 6 more in the first ten inches in front of the chamber. Then used the bore brite to actually polish the bore did about 5 or 6 strokes TOTAL and never since.

I've read that serious benchrest shooters use it though in between strings and it seems to be easy enough to use, I had no problems getting it out of the gun afterwords just did some clean patches, then a wet one with hoppes and clean till dry. It seemed to make a difference in the ease of cleaning after I was done though if you take my meaning. I still shoot a lot of cheap milsurp corrosive stuff though, usually just wet it down with windex but I just took delivery of some BC Muzzle Magic which I have heard is great for the stuff so I am going to try that next, seems like an easier thing to take to the range than carrying a windex bottle (I guess I could get myself a little squeeze bottle but I'm lazy)

(Montgomery County)

Actually the first one I did I'm pretty sure I just used a loop jag and some never dull, and the bore was REALLY nice afterwords and my groups improved a lot once the gun was warm. The one I free floated before I polished the bore showed a real improvement after the polish.

(Allegheny County)

I just figured out why it takes some people 15 mins to clean their guns. My buddy asked me to evaluate a gun he was going to buy off another buddy, I took it apart swabbed some parts and it was about as dirty as one of my guns was after I shoot them. I called the guy up and he told me he had just cleaned it and hadn't shot it in weeks. I guess what I consider cleaning is a little different....

(Tioga County)

It probably takes me an hour to clean a pistol, maybe longer for a rifle. I take my time.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456