Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Your average gun cleaning time?

There are various methods that we all use to same time when cleaning
    firearms. However, I take the time to check/clean magazines. A long time
    ago it was said that if the magazine was not checked/cleaned, the weapon
    was not clean. If you are content with the way you clean because of
    storage duration and use, that is fine. I am older and slower anyway.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Allegheny County)

Why clean them? They just get dirty again the next time you shoot them!

I used to be super fanatical about it, but after I started shooting 5, 6, 7 guns on the same day... pffffttt...

Ain't Nobody Got Time For That!

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    Before Froglube, about 15 minutes. After Froglube, 5 minutes or less. I don't buy into snake oil products, but I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that the stuff works, and works well.
    Not to get off topic but can you speak more about the froglube I also spend some time on cleaning. Is the froglube just for lubing after cleaning or is it a cleaner as well?

Thanks

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith724 View Post
    Not to get off topic but can you speak more about the froglube I also spend some time on cleaning. Is the froglube just for lubing after cleaning or is it a cleaner as well?

Thanks
    It cleans and lubes. They claim that when the metal is heated with the product on it, it will absorb into the metal. I was highly skeptical of this, until I saw some videos where it was applied to hot and cold metal. The hot metal held up far better as far as corrosive resistance is concerned.

They make a paste and a liquid, which are both identical. I used the paste when I first treated it. It feels alot like carnuba wax, but it instantly melts when it warms up. I covered my carry 1911 inside and out, including all of the internals with a thick coat of the paste and set it in the sun on the cover of my hot tub outside my house. I left it out there for two hours, and the metal was too hot to touch. I then brought it in and let it cool. After it cooled I repeated the process.

Everything was noticeably slicker, and my trigger pull was reduced by 1/4 pound. I just ran 300 rounds of my reloads through it today, tore it apart, and wiped everything out with a paper towel. No effort required, all the carbon was floating on top of the froglube. It wiped out VERY easily. It really is fantastic, contrary to some of the naysayers online. I have no connection with the company, and I will call a product fantastic if it is fantastic, and shit if it is shit. Froglube is great.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

It cleans and lubes. They claim that when the metal is heated with the product on it, it will absorb into the metal. I was highly skeptical of this, until I saw some videos where it was applied to hot and cold metal. The hot metal held up far better as far as corrosive resistance is concerned.

They make a paste and a liquid, which are both identical. I used the paste when I first treated it. It feels alot like carnuba wax, but it instantly melts when it warms up. I covered my carry 1911 inside and out, including all of the internals with a thick coat of the paste and set it in the sun on the cover of my hot tub outside my house. I left it out there for two hours, and the metal was too hot to touch. I then brought it in and let it cool. After it cooled I repeated the process.

Everything was noticeably slicker, and my trigger pull was reduced by 1/4 pound. I just ran 300 rounds of my reloads through it today, tore it apart, and wiped everything out with a paper towel. No effort required, all the carbon was floating on top of the froglube. It wiped out VERY easily. It really is fantastic, contrary to some of the naysayers online. I have no connection with the company, and I will call a product fantastic if it is fantastic, and shit if it is shit. Froglube is great.
    Thanks for the info I will be going out and getting some this week and try it out.

Any issues with it used with composit guns?

(Lycoming County)

For me depends on the gun. I ALWAYS clean after a range session...passed down through family then military and LE training. If it gets shot it gets cleaned when i get home. For the:

AK74 is say 30 min because i only shoot corrosive surplus and i dont have a chrome lined barrel..So i be sure to get it good and clean..so far so good after 1080 rounds still clean/no corrosion/rust. 30 min because its so darn easy to take down :-)

M1 Garand 45 minutes+ Even after taking this apart a bunch its no ar or ak to get apart back together..not hard, just not easy plus making sure grease is ok. Again while not hard this is the most complex one for me especially when it comes down to end of year copper cleaning.

bolt action .22lr's/.22WMR 10-15 minutes tops

.22 pistol 20 min

revolvers .38-.357 mag 25-30 min just more difficult to clean.

semi autos (glock,ruger sr9c) 20 minutes

shotguns in season 20 min end of season complete take down(or after hunting in rain/snow) 45 minutes.

I shot this afternoon my Marlin25mn .22 WMR and a Ruger sr9c took me about 35 minutes combined to clean both.

the Marlin was filthy cause i was sighting it in for a new scope which took quite a few rounds unfortunately. Sr9c just 50 rounds till a big 7 foot rat snake came to the range and sent everyone scurrying :-) . (crawled right across the entire shooting line was classically funny seeing 5 grown men and 2 teenagers grabbing everything and throwing it in their trucks and hightailing it) and that was taking them down and cleaning barrels oiling and reassemble.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith724 View Post
    Thanks for the info I will be going out and getting some this week and try it out.

Any issues with it used with composit guns?
    I've put it in my glock and it's been fine. The slide cleans up with a paper towel. Make sure you heat it though, that's very important. If you have any questions when you go to do it, shoot me a pm if you'd like and I'll offer whatever help I can.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

I've put it in my glock and it's been fine. The slide cleans up with a paper towel. Make sure you heat it though, that's very important. If you have any questions when you go to do it, shoot me a pm if you'd like and I'll offer whatever help I can.
    sprrdhawk44 thanks for the info and offer I will get in touch if I have any questions after I pick it up.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Doomtrooper View Post
    used to take me a long time. Untill I discovered a funny little thing called a (bore snake)! For the longest time I just couldn't see paying $20 for a piece of string. Now my guns are clean in half the time and I have one for every caliber. My days of endless dirty patches are a thing of the past. Still can't believe how long it took me to get one. I'm a frickin dumb ass!!!
    Thanks for the tip, I just put a couple of bids on some hoppes snake bores. Hopefully I'll get them. Are they easy to clean?

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

I'm with EmptyMag. I used to be a fanatical cleaner but I discovered other stuff to do with my time. I wipe the outside down. If I see any major degree of buildup I'll clean them but mostly I just shoot them.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast