Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Transporting a legal handgun from New Jersey to Pennsylania

Good evening. I am a new member and this is my first thread.

I would like to to transport my legal handgun (no concealed carry permit) from my home in New Jersey (primary residence) to my second home in Pike County. My intent is to use the gun at he range on Rt. 6 in Hawley.

Does anyone know what the proper procedures and laws are to transport the weapon across state lines, and/or who I can contact in Pike County for clarification of the law?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Transporting a legal handgun from New Jersey to Pennsylania

Secure the gun and ammo seperatly in the trunk of your car and come on down. Once you cross over from the CCCNJ you're good to go so long as its not loaded, ammo is stored seperately and not accessable from the passenger compartment.
    Last edited by Schlafftablett; June 9th, 2013 at 12:16 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Schlafftablett View Post
    Secure the gun and ammo seperatly in the turn of your car and come on down. Once you cross over from the CCCNJ you're good to go so long as its not loaded and not accessable from the passenger compartment.
    Um.... Nope

You gonna get him a felony

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    You gonna get him a felony
    How so ?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    How so ?
    He is not meeting any exception to carry statutes.

It is my opinion, he would be legal driving to/from a PA range from his residence in NJ (range exception in PA & NJ)

Driving FIRST to his home in PA from his home in NJ does NOT meet any exception to carry laws. Hence illegal

IANAL

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Driving FIRST to his home in PA from his home in NJ does NOT meet any exception to carry laws. Hence illegal
    FOPA would cover him.

(Allegheny County)

Wow, really? You're argument is that its illegal to transport a firearm to his home? How the does one get a firearm from the gun store to their residence after initial purchase?

Since you're a part time resident and have property here you should just get a PA CCW and not worry about it. Heck, if you did that you could stop a foot and a half over the PA line, load up, give the finger to Jersey and go about your business.
    Last edited by Schlafftablett; June 9th, 2013 at 12:25 AM.

(York County)

I believe he's good in PA, it's NJ he needs to be worried about...

For PA:

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license

(a) Offense defined.-- (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree. (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.
    (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
    (4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded.

and...

(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Schlafftablett View Post
    Wow, really? You're argument is that its illegal to transport a firearm to his home? How the does one get a firearm from the gun store to their residence after initial purchase?
    yes, that is my argument. You can either counter argue it or go learn the law first. He would be breaking NJ law by transporting a firearm without a license. There is an exception for travel to the range, purchase or while moving but there is no exception to cover what the OP stated in his question.

The OP isn't buying a firearm, so I don't know why you even thought to use that example

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    FOPA would cover him.
    No it wouldn't. FOPA covers you THROUGH states not between them.

You need to be legal at the start and end points

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast