I've never been to a formal training class. But I think most people do it because, yes the skills can be used to defend their lives, but also, this is a FUN hobby. And learning these skills, again, can save your life but also, it's just simply FUN!

Training for me is 75% fun, and 25% life saving. Of course by "training", I mean working on simple, basic things by myself. I'm far from advanced, but I do believe there are a few skills that you can teach yourself, that are a must for concealed carry.

People don't need ANY training to be able to defend themselves with a firearm. I'd be willing to bet that a HUGE majority of civilians that have successfully defended themselves, via firearm, had no formal training. But, that's not to say that hardcore (and fun!) training is a waste, or a bad thing.

Could you successfully, go drive your car on a race track, and go fast. Yeah of course. With proper professional training, could you do it BETTER, and SAFER? YES! And it's fun! It will likely improve your driving as a whole, not just on the racetrack, but driving to work, doing the speed limit, in traffic.

I think the simple part of just being fun is the major point here