Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Military vs. Self defense training

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre6 View Post
    It depends.. I have used PVS-14s extensively (regular NVGs) as well as the fancier binocular set ups. I prefer the PVS-14s for when im in a patrol. Keeping the NVG over my left eye, with a bit of breathing room, and without the rubber eye cup.. You maintain your regular peripheral vision, with a 'circle' of green illuminated vision. You also leave your right eye free to shoot with your weapon optic if you have the opportunity.

Outdoors or on guard this works great. Its extremely difficult to shoot with a head mounted NOD without an IR laser.. With a Laser it works fantastic.

Indoors it absolutely sucks. Its like trying to clear a room looking through a cardboard tube.

We used a 'strobing' technique with our weapon lights. Ever notice if there is a camera flash in a dark room, your retain the 'imprint' of the room for a second or two after the flash? Turning your light on and off allows you to see everything you need to.. It is also confusing and disorienting for whomever you are flashing your light at. In those situations, when im 'breaking' into someone elses house.. I dont want to be coming through the fatal funnel with my light ON the entire time. I dont want to be in the fatal funnel at all.. But I need to be able to see, and quickly.
    I'm thinking more in an civilian capacity for home defense. There is no reason for us to be really tricking out our guns with the intention of busting into other's homes. I'm sure you are referring to some official capacity such as military or SWAT who may regularly train and do these kinds of things.

(Allegheny County)

Here is a good one for justashooter and others. I'm taking a course that incorporates an electrical grid tie. One of the students has been an electrical lineman for 30 years. After he completed the grid tie section, I asked him how it went. He said "Edd, I've worked on countless transformers. I've installed hundreds of electric home meters. I already knew how to install meters. Now I know how to install meters correctly. More importantly, I know why! And I picked up a few tricks."

After 30 years as an expert, he learned the where, why and more how.

Im in sales. I love sales training. I shoot and I love firearms training.

Let's get with the program...nobody knows everything.

I've taken 5 courses with John A Brown @ 3 rivers tactical training. I have learned something at every class. He pounds safety, safety, safety. I never get tired of that. I keep going back to him for a reason. Same with Tactical Defense Institute. I can't say the same of other courses.

It doesn't cost very much so why wouldn't you seek out some professional training?

(Allegheny County)

To learn something new you have to first admit you don't know everything.

(Allegheny County)

I don't know everything, but I'm willing to learn.

(Northumberland County)

I always thought military training is for protecting our country here they are protecting other countries at our expense. The govt should have free training for civilans since WE are the ones protecting the nation.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    I always thought military training is for protecting our country here they are protecting other countries at our expense. The govt should have free training for civilans since WE are the ones protecting the nation.
    The CMP kinda does this... Kinda

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre6 View Post
    The CMP kinda does this... Kinda
    true but they dont supply the training and equipment for free like the military does.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    I would argue that it still works fine it has just been supplanted by either the flavor of the day or something that is arguably better.
    I expect the reason you feel that way is precisely because you are grey bearded.

In recent years I have been told often that one cannot teach an old dog new tricks. I have heard this often enough that I started thinking about why that would be.

The phrase always seems to be used by someone peddling a "new trick" (as opposed to some rueful “old dog” lamenting any actual failure caused by his failure to “early adopt”).

The implication is that when someone passes a certain age (usually about 19) their sclerotic arteries starve their ossified brains, disenabling them from perceiving the great wisdom and awesome power of holding their rifle differently. But I have a different explanation.

The reason one cannot teach old dogs new tricks is because old dogs have been around long enough to know bulls**t when they see it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    The reason one cannot teach old dogs new tricks is because old dogs have been around long enough to know bulls**t when they see it.

I have seen this used before, not by you, as a generic write off from people refusing to consider the possibility of there being something better. Works both ways. Better is better, old or new.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    I expect the reason you feel that way is precisely because you are grey bearded.

In recent years I have been told often that one cannot teach an old dog new tricks. I have heard this often enough that I started thinking about why that would be.

The phrase always seems to be used by someone peddling a "new trick" (as opposed to some rueful “old dog” lamenting any actual failure caused by his failure to “early adopt”).

The implication is that when someone passes a certain age (usually about 19) their sclerotic arteries starve their ossified brains, disenabling them from perceiving the great wisdom and awesome power of holding their rifle differently. But I have a different explanation.

Old is old, best is best. Sometimes old is best, sometimes it's just old.

Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast