Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Military vs. Self defense training

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    I think these can "supplement" your training. But not the best choice to learn from. May be fun to use after taking a class or two and getting your basics down well.

Disadvantage to videos, books, etc, are there isn't anyone there to point out and correct the little things that you may be doing wrong.

The last class I took, all of us kept forgetting one thing when it came time to reload. It was very simple thing. And you wouldn't think it was a big thing. But it was the WRONG thing. And until it was pointed out to us, over and over again, most of us kept doing it. So, without having an instructor there, we all would have probably never realized that we were doing this one little thing wrong.
    Another element of a live instructor/coach is stress. There's nothing like sharpening your skills when you're being told with a stern voice to fix a malfunction. It's not the stress of a gunfight but it emphasizes the urgency to get back in the fight.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    Another element of a live instructor/coach is stress. There's nothing like sharpening your skills when you're being told with a stern voice to fix a malfunction. It's not the stress of a gunfight but it emphasizes the urgency to get back in the fight.
    Absolutely! A timer, competition, strenuous physical activity
    (Especially if you train with lots of heavy gear) combined with shooting will humble you and is great training. Basics under stress

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre6 View Post
    Absolutely! A timer, competition, strenuous physical activity
    (Especially if you train with lots of heavy gear) combined with shooting will humble you and is great training. Basics under stress
    Go run a mile wearing your gear then immediately go shooting. Or get your friends to yell at you. Or play paintball.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kabloosh View Post
    Go run a mile wearing your gear then immediately go shooting. Or get your friends to yell at you. Or play paintball.
    Stress shoots were integral part of training. A two mile timed ruck/run with 50 lb rucks, carrying ammo cans, water cans and a litter with a casualty on it, immediately into an alt c qualification.. AWG ran a fantastic run n gun to train us to use different shooting positions and then we did it in pairs.. Was a complete smoke fest. Controlling your breathing goes out the window when you are physically exhausted like that.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

How much is your life worth?
    Not very much after you say, "Honey, you can't buy shoes for the kids because I just dropped a grand on tactical rifle training which will come in handy when our neighborhood is besieged by the North Korean People's Army of Liberation."

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    Not very much after you say, "Honey, you can't buy shoes for the kids because I just dropped a grand on tactical rifle training which will come in handy when our neighborhood is besieged by the North Korean People's Army of Liberation."

I've read your posts in this thread, and quite frankly don't get the point you're trying to make, as none of what you stated has no practical value to the discussion in this thread. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    . . . as none of what you stated has no practical value to the discussion in this thread. Sorry.
    That means that everything that I have said has practical value in this discussion. Thank you for the kind words.

(Cambria County)

How much is your life worth?

I've spent a considerable sum of money for training and IMHO it's worth every cent.
    I can't say a lot. I have complained about the cost of some courses in the past. And I have to admit that cost has kept me from attending some courses. Especially if you add up the total cost. Travel, hotel, ammo, food, "beer", and of course the cost of the course.

But after taking a course or two, I must admit that when they are over. I usually feel as if I have gotten my monies worth.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

If you are going to buy ammo and use it for training, I don't think there is a better way to use it than in good structured training class. With ammo prices where they are, I feel guilty about plinking!

If you spend your last couple hundred bucks on a class that puts your family out of food and clothing.. You need to budget better. They have classes for that too. It's a mindset that takes years to cultivate.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    That means that everything that I have said has practical value in this discussion. Thank you for the kind words.

Subjectively maybe, if interjected in a different thread (topic), but objectively, no point in value has been added to this conversation. More of a distraction.

Sorry, again, and being pragmatic is not equated to being kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast