Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Military vs. Self defense training

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    holsopple pa was created in the 1820's by my great great great grandfather's widow and her sons after she got the deed to the land from her father in law, a york county lawyer and merchant. he deeded it to her after she and her boys came home to newberry twp yrk from her farm in what is now west virginia. her husband had been killed while serving as a scout in the ohio territory during the war of 1812, burned at the stake alive by indians in league with the british. hollsopples have lived in the area ever since, including my dad's mother's family.

the story is that her father in law took the deed to the property that is now hollsopple in trade for a gentleman's overcoat. must have been one very fine coat.

holsopple, hollsapple, and holtzappffel are all spellings that have been used by the family since erasmus holtzappffel entered the port of philadelphia as a young german immigrant in 1736. his descendents have served this country in just about every armed conflict since.
    Ok... Wrong thread

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kabloosh View Post
    I think there would be a lot to learn and share concerning firearms training in any class. I however think a lot of that information can be learned through free sources, and then practicing them yourself. Especially when it comes to basic weapon manipulation. It's not exactly rocket science and all it takes is a few minutes to learn the steps and hours of repeating them until you can do it without a second thought.

Videos, DVDs, magazine, the interweb are all sources of information some good some bad. I have a few DVDs I like and some are garbage.

However, IMHO nothing can replace a knowledgable instructor/coach to critique your skills.
    Last edited by DaveM55; June 12th, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

holsopple pa was created in the 1820's by my great great great grandfather's widow and her sons after she got the deed to the land from her father in law, a york county lawyer and merchant. he deeded it to her after she and her boys came home to newberry twp yrk from her farm in what is now west virginia. her husband had been killed while serving as a scout in the ohio territory during the war of 1812, burned at the stake alive by indians in league with the british. hollsopples have lived in the area ever since, including my dad's mother's family.

the story is that her father in law took the deed to the property that is now hollsopple in trade for a gentleman's overcoat. must have been one very fine coat.

holsopple, hollsapple, and holtzappffel are all spellings that have been used by the family since erasmus holtzappffel entered the port of philadelphia as a young german immigrant in 1736. his descendents have served this country in just about every armed conflict since.
    Gee, thanks for a wonderful contribution to the conversation at hand.

I have absolutely no clue what the point of this post is.

John

www.3riverstraining.com

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    Videos, DVDs, magazine, the interweb are all sources of information some good some bad. I have a few DVDs I like and some are garbage.
    I think these can "supplement" your training. But not the best choice to learn from. May be fun to use after taking a class or two and getting your basics down well.

Disadvantage to videos, books, etc, are there isn't anyone there to point out and correct the little things that you may be doing wrong.

The last class I took, all of us kept forgetting one thing when it came time to reload. It was very simple thing. And you wouldn't think it was a big thing. But it was the WRONG thing. And until it was pointed out to us, over and over again, most of us kept doing it. So, without having an instructor there, we all would have probably never realized that we were doing this one little thing wrong.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Disadvantage to videos, books, etc, are there isn't anyone there to point out and correct the little things that you may be doing wrong.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post

However, IMHO nothing can replace a knowledgable instructor/coach to critique your skills.
    Yeah but unless he/she is your friend they come with a hefty price tag.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    Thank you both for doing such a great job disrupting the momentum of this thread.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Thank you both for doing such a great job disrupting the momentum of this thread.
    Thank you, it does skill, dexterity, practice and a good coach.

I'd say something rude at this point but I'd get smacked. My video clip was to illustrate the absurdity of attempting to learn a complex skill without any feedback of any sort.

(Allegheny County)

IMHO, it can be moderately pricey, but if its a good school, it's not expensive for what you get. I spent over 1000 on my m4 not even counting optics, lights and rail system (it's probably close to 2k if not more).. And I spent 400 on a 3 day carbine course. The skills and knowledge I gained from that course I have been able to draw on for years. Good training teaches you and teaches you what to practice on your own. Before anyone snipes me for this, I am not affiliated with any school, so profit naught from saying this.. And the skills I learned were confirmed in combat.

There is a reason one of the greatest militaries the world has even known refers to training as 'training is what we do, not something we do'. We don't hand people books and expect them to perform, supervision, critique, mentoring etc.. are all invaluable!

(Allegheny County)

How much is your life worth?

I've spent a considerable sum of money for training and IMHO it's worth every cent.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast