Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Military vs. Self defense training

I've never been to a formal training class. But I think most people do it because, yes the skills can be used to defend their lives, but also, this is a FUN hobby. And learning these skills, again, can save your life but also, it's just simply FUN!

Training for me is 75% fun, and 25% life saving. Of course by "training", I mean working on simple, basic things by myself. I'm far from advanced, but I do believe there are a few skills that you can teach yourself, that are a must for concealed carry.

People don't need ANY training to be able to defend themselves with a firearm. I'd be willing to bet that a HUGE majority of civilians that have successfully defended themselves, via firearm, had no formal training. But, that's not to say that hardcore (and fun!) training is a waste, or a bad thing.

Could you successfully, go drive your car on a race track, and go fast. Yeah of course. With proper professional training, could you do it BETTER, and SAFER? YES! And it's fun! It will likely improve your driving as a whole, not just on the racetrack, but driving to work, doing the speed limit, in traffic.

I think the simple part of just being fun is the major point here

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by John A Brown View Post
    justashooter,

I don't know what your post was supposed to even remotely contribute to what was a good discussion - other than to tell people how awesome you are.

John

www.3riverstraining.com
    a thread about the virtues of training run by a guy who sells training?
    in the auction business that is called "shilling the bid".
    talk about enhancing "awesomeness".

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    That's quite an accomplishment if you're just a hobbyist and recreational shooter.

And I have to agree with John Brown in that you really aren't bringing anything to the table. In fact, you are fucking up a really good thread.
    maybe i is, maybe i ain't. maybe it doesn't matter, as we will never look down the barrels of each other's guns, statistical probability being what it is.

anyway, what we have here folks is another guy that sells training programs actively involved in plugging his own product in a supposedly credible thread. what is this thread, an infomercial?

next post will be billy what was his name selling "SHAMWOW! SHOOTERS TACTICAL TRAINING!!!!".

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post
    I've never been to a formal training class. But I think most people do it because, yes the skills can be used to defend their lives, but also, this is a FUN hobby. And learning these skills, again, can save your life but also, it's just simply FUN!

Training for me is 75% fun, and 25% life saving. Of course by "training", I mean working on simple, basic things by myself. I'm far from advanced, but I do believe there are a few skills that you can teach yourself, that are a must for concealed carry.

People don't need ANY training to be able to defend themselves with a firearm. I'd be willing to bet that a HUGE majority of civilians that have successfully defended themselves, via firearm, had no formal training. But, that's not to say that hardcore (and fun!) training is a waste, or a bad thing.

Could you successfully, go drive your car on a race track, and go fast. Yeah of course. With proper professional training, could you do it BETTER, and SAFER? YES! And it's fun! It will likely improve your driving as a whole, not just on the racetrack, but driving to work, doing the speed limit, in traffic.

If you've never taken any formal training, I think you would benefit greatly with some. You don't know what you don't know. If someone carries a firearm then formal instruction in the combat triad is essential, IMHO.

An instructor can identify and correct flaws which a shooter can not see him/her self.

I've taken several basic pistol classes and one carbine class in the last few years and each one has taught me something. Each class shows me just how much I don't know. Even though I have instructor certifications and have taught classes, I am more a student than an instructor. Plus training makes shooting more fun.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    maybe i is, maybe i ain't. maybe it doesn't matter, as we will never look down the barrels of each other's guns, statistical probability being what it is.

anyway, what we have here folks is another guy that sells training programs actively involved in plugging his own product in a supposedly credible thread. what is this thread, an infomercial?

next post will be billy what was his name selling "SHAMWOW! SHOOTERS TACTICAL TRAINING!!!!".
    I am fairly certain Fire institute is non-profit.. And (I may be wrong) but I doubt John makes a significant income from his school. Most instructors I have encountered are passionate about teaching and sharing their knowledge. Even ones working for major firearms schools, it's a second job. I benefit nothing from promoting the virtues of firearms training.. And i continue to do so. Implying that people are participating in this thread merely to sell product.. Well I encourage you to keep an open mind and keep the thread informative and on topic!

(Erie County)

a thread about the virtues of training run by a guy who sells training? Thread is about the differences in military training vs civilian training, which was discussed in the op.

Read posts 4 and 7, then tell us what 'plugging' or 'shilling' is occurring.

You are still awesome and I bet you have a >1 sec draw and shot in the A zone at 5 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Allegheny County)

a thread about the virtues of training run by a guy who sells training?
    in the auction business that is called "shilling the bid".
    talk about enhancing "awesomeness".
    I'll be more than happy to put you in touch with as many of my former students as you'd like. You can ask them about the virtues of the training I provide.

Or, please be my guest and read the AAR's of my courses that are here on PAFOA.

You came into a very good discussion and for reasons known only to yourself acted like an ass and felt it necessary to tell the world what a shooting superstar you are and how you are self trained, etc., etc., etc. Sure. Whatever.

Now you're going to try and attack me, because I called you out and nobody ran to your defense. Nice try.

You tried your best to derail what is a very good ongoing discussion here. You succeeded briefly, but the conversation is now back on track. Either contribute to it in an intelligent manner, or please just go away.

Trust me, at this point nobody could care less about your opinions.

John

www.3riverstraining.com
    Last edited by John A Brown; June 9th, 2013 at 02:02 PM.

Unless this is a pseudonym, "John Brown" has no association with FIRE Institute.

The Firearms Instruction, Research & Education Institute a.k.a. F.I.R.E. Institute, is a non-profit, tax exempt, corporation, (501(c)(3)) organized under the laws of Pennsylvania in 2003.

-- Chuck

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
    Unless this is a pseudonym, "John Brown" has no association with FIRE Institute.

The Firearms Instruction, Research & Education Institute a.k.a. F.I.R.E. Institute, is a non-profit, tax exempt, corporation, (501(c)(3)) organized under the laws of Pennsylvania in 2003.

-- Chuck
    Chuck,

Correct. I'm not affiliated with Fire Institute in any way.

I'm the owner of 3 Rivers Tactical Training Solutions, Inc.

John

www.3riverstraining.com

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post

Rich,

I don't make many guarantees in life, but as I said in an earlier post in this thread.........if you were to come to a professional firearms training class you would be very surprised about A) how much you learn, B) how much stuff you didn't know, and C) how much fun you would have.

I base my above comment on consistent things said by the students who come to my classes.

Another great things about these classes is that with very few exceptions they are usually attended by some of the best people you'd ever want to be around. I have very, very few ass-clowns attend my classes.

John

www.3riverstraining.com

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast