Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default drivers license required to check firearm while open carrying?

Title says it all...I just can't find anywhere it's required.

Side note, can you record in the courthouse?

Default Re: drivers license required to check firearm while open carrying?

I would imagine this is to ID who's weapon it is? I would think this would be favorable so that someone else can not retrieve your weapon. I am missing something here?

(Lehigh County)

Nope, that's exactly all.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by iamtommyboy View Post
    I would imagine this is to ID who's weapon it is? I would think this would be favorable so that someone else can not retrieve your weapon. I am missing something here?
    To be clear..I was under the impression that they're supposed to give you the key or a receipt, which would make it very easy to not confuse my firearm with somebody else's. I had a poor experience there and before I complain about the law I was just curious what it is. Regardless of the law, the guy was kind of a jerk. I'm just curious what's legally required of me to check a firearm.

(Dauphin County)

Actually, if you are open carrying and not in possession of your LTCF, they could refuse to even check your firearm, DL notwithstanding, because the statute is for checking firearms being carried under Secs. 6106(b) & 6109.

18 Pa.C.S. § 913: Possession of firearm or other dangerous weapon in court facility

(e) Facilities for checking firearms or other dangerous weapons.--Each county shall make available at or within the building containing a court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section 6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons that are not otherwise prohibited by law. Any individual checking a firearm, dangerous weapon or an item deemed to be a dangerous weapon at a court facility must be issued a receipt. Notice of the location of the facility shall be posted as required under subsection (d). ...
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Gotcha. Haven't had the pleasure of checking my firearm at the courthouse, so I hadn't really thought of the receipt.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Actually, if you are open carrying and not in possession of your LTCF, they could refuse to even check your firearm, DL notwithstanding, because the statute is for checking firearms being carried under Secs. 6106(b) & 6109.
    This is what I'm looking for. As far as I can tell both of those are in regard to concealed firearms..but legalese is confusing :/

okay I think I get it. 913, which addresses checking firearms, says you must be exempted under 6106b or 6109. So it seems it's required to show your ltcf. I'm going to assume this unless anyone else can add anything.
    Last edited by yeager484; June 5th, 2013 at 07:09 PM.