Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Can anyone help with my LTCF permit?

Hi everyone...
    I've been trying to get my CCW permit for about a year now in Monroe County.. and could use some help.
    I'm a 25yr old male and have been a fulltime resident of the county since August of 2011 in the Pocono Pines area. I have never once had any run in with the law.. the most was maybe being pulled over for speeding once or twice in my entire life. I'm trying to comply with the requirements of Sheriff Martin, but I just can't meet his 2 IN county full time resident references..everything else is all good excpet for the need of one more reference... all I want is to be a law abiding firearm owner! .. I own multiple firearms.. but with no carry permit and it drives me nuts to not be able to say, "yes, I abide by all state regulations and I have my conceal carry permit" and also be restricted in how I have to handle my firearm.. (truth be told, I wouldnt even be carrying often.. but the permit makes a gun owners life much easier) and I'd like to have one to comply with all regulations.

The problem is.. I only know of my brother in law's family in Monroe.. they can be my one reference, but I dont know any others IN monroe county..everyone I know is from outside of Monroe County.. I rarely ever spend time in Monroe county. I work in Lackawanna. I spend most of my time in Lackawanna county and I shoot in Lackawanna. I have references for days in Lackawanna county, a few in Wayne, and a handful in Wyoming. A couple are even LEOs.. but Sheriff Martin will NOT budge on this second reference not being a full time monroe county resident...

So I thought, hey..maybe I can go up to Tobyhanna SGL and meet someone that would be willing to let me put thier name down.. but no, you need a range permit to even use the range there.. you don't where I shoot in Lackawanna... I've asked everyone I can think of, even people who I work with if they live in or know of anyone in Monroe county willing to let me use them as a reference but of course..no go..
    I'm at a complete loss as to what to do at this point.. any advice or a friendly gesture to help a (trying to be) law abiding firearm owner, would be really appreciated.. Thanks everyone.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Can anyone help with my LTCF permit?

There are no requirements for your references to be in your county. If it's stated on the form, it's BS and needs to be called out. You can use references from out of state if that's all you have, especially considering LTCF can be applied for by out of state residents.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Lehigh County)

I'm not a lawyer, this isn't legal advice. As far as I know there is no legal way they can require in county residents. If you comply, it may speed up the process for you but let's be real ...it's been a year already. They have 45 calendar days to issue your permit, in county residents or not.

(Monroe County)

yes.. but that is what they require in Monroe County. trust me. I know its not "legal" but its the sheriff's requirements.. and you need to to abide by them.. he is the one giving you the permit..

Ive been going through this for a very long time as I stated.. all I need is 1 or 2 people in Monroe county willing to help me out and be a reference.. and yes, I realize that probably isnt going to happen without them knowing me.. so it seems im SOL..

maybe I'll go up to Pocono Pistol in Stroudsburg and an employee or someone will offer a hand? All I know is.. Monroe county requirements are beyond bogus and im very frustrated by it.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by tfranzone View Post
    yes.. but that is what they require in Monroe County. trust me. I know its not "legal" but its the sheriff's requirements.. and you need to to abide by them.. he is the one giving you the permit..

Ive been going through this for a very long time as I stated.. all I need is 1 or 2 people in Monroe county willing to help me out and be a reference.. and yes, I realize that probably isnt going to happen without them knowing me.. so it seems im SOL..

maybe I'll go up to Pocono Pistol in Stroudsburg and an employee or someone will offer a hand? All I know is.. Monroe county requirements are beyond bogus and im very frustrated by it.
    Is he not accepting your paperwork, or has he actually denied the application through the process?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Is he not accepting your paperwork, or has he actually denied the application through the process?
    havent officially submitted bc I've been told multiple times by the office that it wont be accepted or will be denied in the end.. and others who went ahead and did it with out of county residents were given a denial ..and I really rather not fill out the form, waste time and gas to drive to the office.. drop it off.. wait 45 days to then be rejected.

(Lancaster County)

havent officially submitted bc I've been told multiple times by the office that it wont be accepted or will be denied in the end.. and others who went ahead and did it with out of county residents were given a denial ..and I really rather not fill out the form, waste time and gas to drive to the office.. drop it off.. wait 45 days to then be rejected.
    Out of County references is not a valid reason for denial. What the sheriff is doing is illegal, and he won't stop by people rolling over.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Washington County)

It's been a year, wouldn't want to waste any time.

You don't have any neighbors or friends in the county that you live in? Really?
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Delaware County)

If you get denied for references. I will 100% fund your lawsuit

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    If you get denied for references. I will 100% fund your lawsuit
    Looks like it's time to turn in the paperwork, OP.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast