Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Can anyone help with my LTCF permit?

Quote Originally Posted by DWG1 View Post
    How many folks on this forum alone have lived in county for more then 15 years. I bet not many.

I cruised past the nineteen year mark this past spring.

Quote Originally Posted by DWG1 View Post
    I've lived here my entire life and what's gone on in Monroe county over the last 20 years is....well....is not good.

You got that right.

(Monroe County)

I fully understand where the sheriff is coming from.. and you're right.. at least he's consistent in his demands and doesnt waver.. but at the same time, its making it very difficult on my end bc of his "qualifications" to obtain a CCW permit..
    if he looked up my info and did the PICS check as he will...he would see I've been a resident of the county for almost 24 months and not once have I had a brush with the law.. like I mentioned, not even a traffic violation.. so to see all of that and then to still deny me bc of 1 reference being out of county when I can provide tons of other PA county references for him.. that gets my goat just a little.

And I'm sure you can see my side of it.. I'm not one to cause a whole issue with trying to one up him on whats legal and whats not.. and that even more so make me annoyed that he cant recognize I'm trying to be responsible and civil.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by tfranzone View Post
    I fully understand where the sheriff is coming from.. …
    He's coming from a position of breaking the law. That's what HE needs to understand.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Monroe County)

I've been following this post and I must say i'm totally discouraged from even applying for the LTCF. I've been a resident for the better part of a year but I know very few people in the area. I read about the other counties where people walk in and out with there LTCF. must be nice. I love living in the stroudsburg area but wouldn't mind looking into other counties that are not so judgmental. I guess i'll hold off for a while and see. Just got my hunting license so maybe some SGL shooting for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Whatsthestoryjerry View Post
    I've been following this post and I must say i'm totally discouraged from even applying for the LTCF. I've been a resident for the better part of a year but I know very few people in the area. I read about the other counties where people walk in and out with there LTCF. must be nice. I love living in the stroudsburg area but wouldn't mind looking into other counties that are not so judgmental. I guess i'll hold off for a while and see. Just got my hunting license so maybe some SGL shooting for now.
    then they've won.

PA code 33.114 and section 6109 title 18 of the PA UFA

It's sad that it is this way, but the sheriff does run uncontested year after year if i recall.
    Last edited by fallenleader; June 24th, 2013 at 04:25 PM.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by sikencide View Post
    People try and fail.. The only thing that finally changed was instead of paying something like 50$ it dropped to 20$.

Not sure about you but I do not exactly have the money to fund a suit for it.
    I've had Monroe for over 25 years and never paid more then I think about 35. Before that I had Northampton County but don't remember the cost there.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankie View Post
    How about a follow up on this from the OP? Is there one?
    I smell something fishy. He doesn't turn the app in with out of county references even though he has offers of funding a lawsuit. He has nothing to lose except he keeps making excuses.

(Monroe County)

I got the 2 references and my application is completed. just need a day off from work to drop the application by the sheriffs office now since they are only open normal business hours while im also at work. Also, I don't see why you all are so hell bent on a lawsuit. I personally don't have the time to deal with that and I knew I would get the references at some point. Patience is a virtue. Thanks to all that provided some insight and personal experience. To the rest of you, good luck if you decide to team up with Bimmer and file a suit. (Not sarcasm)

(Monroe County)

Also, I don't see why you all are so hell bent on a lawsuit.
    Lawsuits are filed when you are wronged or damaged by somebody's actions. Actions that are either not legal, ethical or fair. That would be you in this case. Hey if during your illegal wait one of your family or yourself would have benefited from a carried firearm you would feel different.
    A lawsuit would for the sheriff to stop his unlawful activity.

(Monroe County)

Hi everyone...
    I've been trying to get my CCW permit for about a year now in Monroe County.. and could use some help.
    I'm a 25yr old male and have been a fulltime resident of the county since August of 2011 in the Pocono Pines area. I have never once had any run in with the law.. the most was maybe being pulled over for speeding once or twice in my entire life. I'm trying to comply with the requirements of Sheriff Martin, but I just can't meet his 2 IN county full time resident references..everything else is all good excpet for the need of one more reference... all I want is to be a law abiding firearm owner! .. I own multiple firearms.. but with no carry permit and it drives me nuts to not be able to say, "yes, I abide by all state regulations and I have my conceal carry permit" and also be restricted in how I have to handle my firearm.. (truth be told, I wouldnt even be carrying often.. but the permit makes a gun owners life much easier) and I'd like to have one to comply with all regulations.

The problem is.. I only know of my brother in law's family in Monroe.. they can be my one reference, but I dont know any others IN monroe county..everyone I know is from outside of Monroe County.. I rarely ever spend time in Monroe county. I work in Lackawanna. I spend most of my time in Lackawanna county and I shoot in Lackawanna. I have references for days in Lackawanna county, a few in Wayne, and a handful in Wyoming. A couple are even LEOs.. but Sheriff Martin will NOT budge on this second reference not being a full time monroe county resident...

So I thought, hey..maybe I can go up to Tobyhanna SGL and meet someone that would be willing to let me put thier name down.. but no, you need a range permit to even use the range there.. you don't where I shoot in Lackawanna... I've asked everyone I can think of, even people who I work with if they live in or know of anyone in Monroe county willing to let me use them as a reference but of course..no go..
    I'm at a complete loss as to what to do at this point.. any advice or a friendly gesture to help a (trying to be) law abiding firearm owner, would be really appreciated.. Thanks everyone.
    I remember the first time I applied for mines, I lost a friend/neighbor. I called him and asked if I could use him as reference. The guy just stopped talking to me lol. Like right after I got it I would start pulling liquor store robberies, and this was someone I knew 10 years....boy you mention firearm to some people and they freak.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast