Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default New 1911 or Custom Work?

Hey guys I need some opinions,

I have a stock model MKIV Series 80 Colt Government and its a great gun; fantastic shooter. After shooting it and getting used to the 1911 platform I have decided to get some upgrades done to the gun that fit me better. I new to the 1911 platform but not firearms.

I have been in contact with Wilson Combat and am getting the following done to the gun: Total Reliability Package, Trigger Tune, Match Trigger, Skeleton Commander Hammer, Beaver Tail, and Extended Thumb Saftey.

In the future, after several thousand more rounds, I may send it back to get a match grade barrel/bushing, front strap checkering, combat night sights, beveled mag well, etc.

But, to my question...I have the opprotunity to get a LNIB Springfield TRP in a trade for the Colt + some $. The TRP has less than 100 rounds through it; and the trade will cost me abit less cash than sending the Colt to Wilson Combat.

So, will I end up with a better gun just getting the TRP which seems to have everything I want plus (all things mentioned above, plus night sights, checkering, match grade barrel/bushing, etc) or will I end up with a better gun sending my Colt to the guys at Wilson Combat to get some custom love.

Thanks for all responses! I posted this on the 1911 forum as well.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: New 1911 or Custom Work?

Your Colt is more valuable than you may think. If you are dead set on doing something. Sell the Colt outright and buy what you want. A friend of mine collects Colts, especially the 80 series and I have seen him pay high dollars for ones that were not boogered up. I have a Colt Mustang plus II I bought new, he has a standing offer of $1000 if I ever sell it, thought about it many times, but I can't bring myself to sell anything firearm related. (My wife thinks this is a problem). It's your gun and your choice on what to do with it, I am just adding my .02 in.

(Mercer County)

Without anything being done to the Colt by Wilson, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for the response guys.

I guess what this is comming down to is...

A) keep the Colt and toss $600+ in it for custom work from Wilson

B) Trade the colt and like $500 for a lnib TRP

I dont know enough about 1911 platform to know which will get me a better performing gun. I should note this gun will get shot weekly and carried during the winter months.

(Mercer County)

Wait I didn't see the "plus some cash." No, that's about what TRPs sell for new. I might throw in $200 if I were you, but certainly not five.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Id send the Colt to wilson...Honestly, I think its the better gun..

Springfields are more or less fine, but after owning two of them Ive come to the conclusion that there is a reason they have such a good warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    Wait I didn't see the "plus some cash." No, that's about what TRPs sell for new. I might throw in $200 if I were you, but certainly not five.
    I agree. Colt plus five bills is too much!
    Jules

(Montgomery County)

Sell the Colt and buy a Smith and Wesson Performance Center 1911. The PC 1911 comes from the factory with every detail worked and perfected. The average gunsmith in the PC has 30 years of experience at Smith and Wesson. Couple that with a lifetime warranty and you have one hell of a great pistol for a deal.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lawrence County)

I'd much rather have the TRP. Or just trade the Colt for a STI Trojan......

LycanlikestheTRPthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

It's a hard question and probably no wrong answers, but because of this, I'd probably go the 'send the MK IV to WC' route: http://www.armslist.com/posts/140863...combat-pistols

The TRP is a nice 1911...it has excellent checkering, grips are nice, magwell, etc. If it is this model with target sights and rail, then I would do the trade + the 5 Franklins. Anything less and it's Colt to Wilson Combat to "Colt Combat", IMO. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAg&dur=743
    Last edited by harold63; June 2nd, 2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: couldn't get link to post
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast