Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Question about trigger jobs and removing safety

I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 22 pistol. Many have complained about the safety, but I like it. I have noted that some are removing the safety and then doing a trigger job to get the pull to 2-1/2 to 3 pounds. Is this safe??? It does have a trigger safety, but if some foreign object comes into contact with the trigger (lazy finger, baggy shirt, keys in pocket, etc.), would having this light of a trigger, with no safety, be a hazard?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Question about trigger jobs and removing safety

Quote Originally Posted by rgkitchen View Post
    I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 22 pistol. Many have complained about the safety, but I like it. I have noted that some are removing the safety and then doing a trigger job to get the pull to 2-1/2 to 3 pounds. Is this safe??? It does have a trigger safety, but if some foreign object comes into contact with the trigger (lazy finger, baggy shirt, keys in pocket, etc.), would having this light of a trigger, with no safety, be a hazard?

I'd imagine no hazard if you keep it holstered.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by rgkitchen View Post
    If someone chooses to pocket carry, absolutely nothing at all other than the firearm should be in that pocket. And put the gun in a holster. Problem solved.

(Jefferson County)

If the gun is used purely for plinking or target shooting, a safety isn't needed.

A safety's purpose is for when you are carrying it loaded.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

For a target only gun, removing the safety is ok. However...if you ever intend on using it as a carry piece, do not remove the safety. Don't risk your life, or the lives of those around you, just because it's the latest rage found mainly online.
    "A free people ought to be armed."--George Washington

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by stringplucker View Post
    For a target only gun, removing the safety is ok. However...if you ever intend on using it as a carry piece, do not remove the safety. Don't risk your life, or the lives of those around you, just because it's the latest rage found mainly online.
    Quite a few guns don't have manual safeties...could you elaborate why you said this? Just trying to get a better understanding.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by yeager484 View Post
    Quite a few guns don't have manual safeties...could you elaborate why you said this? Just trying to get a better understanding.
    I misspoke...I meant safeties. I was debating someone on another forum earlier about his removing the manual safety because he didn't like the way it looked...then using it as his carry piece. My brain apparently merged the two conversations when I was responding.

My apologies.
    "A free people ought to be armed."--George Washington