Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default My new M&P 9 Pro

I just picked up my new Smith and Wesson M&P 9 Pro from Mechanicsburg Ordnance today. Took it to the range and wanted to give my thoughts on it. I will say that I am a Glock guy, I have a 19, Gen 4 26 and a 34. The M&P definitely feels better in the hand and it points naturally. I have read a lot about M&P's and the resounding opinion was that their factory triggers are gritty and horrible. According to the literature, the Pro series comes with a lighter trigger. I will say that it doesn't feel very light while dry firing, but once I started shooting it did feel quite light and I actually liked it. The trigger reset is virtually impossible to hear or feel, but in practical shooting, I feel, doesn't really make a difference. The sights were very nice and the green fiber optic is very easy to pick up. On my G34 I have a red fiber optic and it really pops. The green doesn't pop as much but isn't bad at all. I don't have the biggest hands so I put on the small backstrap and it felt good in hand. It came with 2 17 round magazines and they are pretty rugged and drop free when pushing the mag release. The slide release is very low profile and not all that easy to actuate, unlike my 34 which sticks out more. I am hopefully gonna to officially break it in this weekend at a local IDPA match. I am going to need to get a holster, mag pouches and an extra mag before then. Again, I really love glocks but this M&P was a great purchase. I put 100 rounds through it today. Some slow firing and then some IDPA style shooting multiple targets. Felt good and I really enjoyed shooting it. Here are my first 10 rounds at about 12 yards.

So in closing, I guess in the words spoken by the late Rodney King, "Can't we all get along" can be used in the Glock and M&P world as well.

I must also add, that I spoke with Richard at Mechanicsburg Ordnance this past Saturday to order me this pistol and he got it in today(Wednesday). Anyone in the area should check out his shop.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: My new M&P 9 Pro

I just picked up a Pro to compliment my 4.25 barreled M&P for IDPA as well. Haven't put any rounds through it, but I do have to say the trigger does sucketh out of the box. My 9FS has Apex components in it and has a 2lb 14oz pull, super sweet. The Pro will probably get the same treatment.

I, too, have a red FO in my FS pistol. I'll try out the green to see how it goes. Might switch it out with a red.

How stiff is your slide release..er.. "stop". I use the slide stop to drop the slide on the full sized. It's nice and easy. The pro is incredibly tight. I'll try to break it in and see if it gets looser over a few hundred rounds.

I do love the way it balances in the hand. Can't wait to put some rounds down range. I can't get to the range or shoot a match until the 8th at Phillipsburg or BRCV on the 9th. Might try out the pistol then if I have a holster for it.

I am a die hard 1911 fan but need more capacity

grip angle and forward set trigger = win !!!
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot328 View Post
    I just picked up a Pro to compliment my 4.25 barreled M&P for IDPA as well. Haven't put any rounds through it, but I do have to say the trigger does sucketh out of the box. My 9FS has Apex components in it and has a 2lb 14oz pull, super sweet. The Pro will probably get the same treatment.

I, too, have a red FO in my FS pistol. I'll try out the green to see how it goes. Might switch it out with a red.

How stiff is your slide release..er.. "stop". I use the slide stop to drop the slide on the full sized. It's nice and easy. The pro is incredibly tight. I'll try to break it in and see if it gets looser over a few hundred rounds.

I do love the way it balances in the hand. Can't wait to put some rounds down range. I can't get to the range or shoot a match until the 8th at Phillipsburg or BRCV on the 9th. Might try out the pistol then if I have a holster for it.
    Yeah I would say the slide release is stiffer than I would have thought, but it wasnt too bad. My Glock 34 with the extended slide release is very light. I am looking forward to trying it out in IDPA...it seems very fun to shoot in a competition.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot328 View Post

About the trigger...when dry firing it does seem bad, but when I started shooting, it felt really good. It may change your mind when you finally put rounds downrange.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda240 View Post
    I am a die hard 1911 fan but need more capacity

grip angle and forward set trigger = win !!!
    How do you like that trigger? I am guessing a noticeable difference than the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by pokerguy005 View Post
    How do you like that trigger? I am guessing a noticeable difference than the factory?

best non-1911 trigger i have ever felt.
    Tantric Shooting Team