Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: HD Shotgun Under $350?

if you want a new one of your best choices is from weatherby. the model PA-459.I have one of these and have seen them o sale for around 325 to 375.they come set up for HD short pstol grip stock 13in LOP ghost ring sights with fiber optic front sight.only thing you may not like is they only hold 5 rounds and mag extends are hard to find.but I feel if you need more then 5 shots your in trouble.mine shoots great and runs great.a lot of gun for the money.crazywolf

(Bucks County)

This is the perfect time of year to look for a USED shotgun.....they are usually priced to sell. Firearms sales slow a lot during the summer especially shotguns. They will be more popular (and pricey) in the early Fall.

Be patient and keep an eye out. You will see dozens of nice ones under $350 and a fair amount in good condition under $250.

(Montgomery County)

Id say 870 > moss500 but both are good

Just dont get one of the H&R/hawk value shotguns. Not saying they cant be good, but you run more of a risk getting something that is shit. My H&R pardner pump's barrel came with a slight cant to the left, still shootable but just enough that you can definitely tell when lookin down at the bead sight. Oh and also the mag spring SUCKED. It didnt cycle rounds for SHIT. Like it would never grab the 1st shell, barely the 2nd and would still take a few pumps to send even the 3rd shell in the tube to the gun. I got a wolf spring and it is much better. I would get a remington 870 personally.
    -=pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames=-

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by crazywolf View Post
    if you want a new one of your best choices is from weatherby. the model PA-459.I have one of these and have seen them o sale for around 325 to 375.they come set up for HD short pstol grip stock 13in LOP ghost ring sights with fiber optic front sight.only thing you may not like is they only hold 5 rounds and mag extends are hard to find.but I feel if you need more then 5 shots your in trouble.mine shoots great and runs great.a lot of gun for the money.crazywolf

IMO, one can find a US made shotgun for the same money and not support the Turks (makers of the PA459), or the Chinese, etc...

(Bucks County)

Not sure how far you are from southern Bucks but I just went to Surplus City in Feasterville. They just got a dozen 870 police trade-ins for $250.

These were parked, had the polymer stock that held 4 backup rounds and I believe the barrels were cylinder 18". Decent looking shotguns.....definitely not beaters.

A PERFECT HD shotgun. I would pick one of these over a new Mossburg any day.
    Last edited by Delkal; June 1st, 2013 at 04:48 PM.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by crazywolf View Post
    Word on the street is that all those Turkish made shotguns have the same thread pattern on the magazine tube. Buy a Benelli Nova magazine extension and if it's too long, trim it to the proper length with a pipe cutter.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Not sure how far you are from southern Bucks but I just went to Surplus City in Feasterville. They just got a dozen 870 police trade-ins for $250.

These were parked, had the polymer stock that held 4 backup rounds and I believe the barrels were cylinder 18". Decent looking shotguns.....definitely not beaters.

A PERFECT HD shotgun. I would pick one of these over a new Mossburg any day.

Would you recommend a Remington with it's trigger safety to a left handed person any day as well?

I suppose if people don't use it it's fine, but for a lefty that actually uses it, it's a pain in the ass.

(Lancaster County)

thanks Misery556.for the info.I'm leaveing my PA-459 the way it is. I got it real cheap and got it cause it's one with a skull camo paint job.so I just get it out to play with and show it off cause it is cool looking.an I have plenty of other HD shotgus to use.my main is an 870 with 13 LOP speedfeed stock and was sent to VANG COMP to have a bunch of work done.I also have and ithaca with full lenght mag tube,a benelli M1a super tactical H&K marked and a mossbeg 590A1 SPX got that one cause it came with a bayonet and just looks bad with it on.so I've got plenty to play with.thanks again crazywolf

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Would you recommend a Remington with it's trigger safety to a left handed person any day as well?

I suppose if people don't use it it's fine, but for a lefty that actually uses it, it's a pain in the ass.

Sorry.....Wasn't thinking about Lefties......That can change things.

I meant to say the quality of an all steel 870 Wingmaster beats an alloy Mossburg 500.

I didn't do an internet search but is there a (relatively cheap) way to reverse it?
    Last edited by Delkal; June 1st, 2013 at 11:51 PM.

(Delaware County)

I've had Remmies, Mossbergs, a couple of Charles Daly 12 ga, and one of the early Smith&Wesson Super 1000s (made by Howa). The Smith is my go to shotgun for trap and skeet. I've dumped all the others for Mossberg 500s in 12 and 20 ga. The Remmies tend to be tighter, but I find that the loosey goosey rattle of the Mossberg makes it a bit more robust in bad conditions. I keep a 500 with 18" cylinder bore barrel for downstairs HD, and a Mossberg 835 with 18" (hard to find) barrel upstairs that does double duty as my other trap gun when I swap in the 28" Ultimag barrel.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast