Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Where do yinz get your reloading supplies???

Recently got into trap shooting With a buddy of mine and fell in love with it. My buddy got a crazy good deal on a MEC progressive reloader and with the amount we've been shooting lately only seemed like the smart idea to start saving the hulls and reloading them. Where around her can I get the supplies. Mainly looking for Hodgdon Clays powder, Cheddite 209 primers, and magnum #8 lead shot.

Thanks,
    Erik

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Where do yinz get your reloading supplies???

Erik
    Being shotshell, you probably wont have any problems finding primers online. I can't say about the shot or the powder. If it's like handgun/rifle, you'll have your work cut out for you. I walked into Ace last weekend and just for the fun of it, I asked if they had any small rifle primers and the guy said-I think we have 100 left. So, I took them.
    NRA Life Member-NRA Range Safety Officer

(Allegheny County)

I was trying to avoid online shopping. I'd prefer to give my business to a local shop. I did find an 8# of hodgdon clays out at bees guns and bought that (and it was cheaper than anywhere I found online). Primers though I struck out with and had to buy online. Lesson learned from that was buy in bulk to offset the hazmat fee

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flub781 View Post
    Recently got into trap shooting With a buddy of mine and fell in love with it. My buddy got a crazy good deal on a MEC progressive reloader and with the amount we've been shooting lately only seemed like the smart idea to start saving the hulls and reloading them. Where around her can I get the supplies. Mainly looking for Hodgdon Clays powder, Cheddite 209 primers, and magnum #8 lead shot.

Thanks,
    Erik
    Big Buck Sport Shop is just a few miles up 79 North from Pittsburgh.

Their powder shipment just came in on this Monday and the do have various types of primers.

I was there Wednesday and relieved them of 2 lbs. of Unique and 500 small pistol primers. There's plenty of other powder stock, but I'm not sure if it's the kind(s) you need.

Here's their number: 724 935-7410
    Here's their website: http://bigbucksportshop.net/

Edit: just saw your comment that you have primers, but keep Big Buck in mind. They're good people.
    Last edited by ettorment1916; June 6th, 2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: last sentence added
    If gun control worked, Chicago would be like Mayberry, instead of Thunderdome.

(Allegheny County)

Shoot at a couple different trap clubs in your area, and ask if they do club buys. Most either purchase from Dawson's in Ohio, or CAC assoc, which I believe is about 2 hours east of Pittsburgh. Denny's in Hubbard Ohio is also a popular place. If you are only shooting a little then buying at a "gun shop" won't hurt the wallet too bad. If you are doing any sigificant trap shooting then the savings from a bigger distributor can be quite large. I got half of my last order from Denny's and the other half from Dawson's. Remember to always call for availability before ordering anything.

Oh yeah. right now Hodgen clays might be tough to find which is why I bought 48 pounds on my last order.

http://www.dawsonent.com/
    http://www.cacassociatesinc.com/
    http://www.yellowpages.com/hubbard-o...ds-inc-6757436
    Last edited by guinner16; June 10th, 2013 at 11:41 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the replies. Wound up ordering more primers and wads from Gamaliels a few days ago. I'll definitely keep the other places in mind. I have 3 8# of powder that we salvaged from trips to bees and bravermans so we should be set on that for a while. Only thing I'm having a hard time finding is shot. I saw on CAC's website that they're closed until the 18th. I imagine thats because of the state shoot. Maybe its me being cheap by I cant justify spending the money on shipping to order it online. Tried calling a few places around here (bees, delmont sport shop, and a place out on route 30) and everyone was sold out of #8 shot. I was thinking it was because the state trap tourney is going on now but I overheard someone at our Tuesday shoot saying that they have to use factory loads for the state competition.

(Allegheny County)

A lot of the gun shops were at the Pa shoot, and then go right to the Ohio shoot this week. I just shot in the Jersey State shoot and reloads were allowed. I think the no reload rule may be a thing of the past. As far as I know reloads are outlawed at the the Grand for handicap events only. Even at that it may only be certain handicap events that outlaw reloads, but I can't be certain. Basically the rule was removed in a lot of shoots to encourage more people to shoot.