Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Should I, or should'nt I

refinish a 1948 model 12, 12ga? There is no rust or pitting on the gun just normal wear on the metal, and dings on the wood.. the gun has just been used (alot) since it was bought by my grandfather in 1948.
    I want the gun to look like its new. But if refinishing it will take away from the value. I will just keep the gun the way it is.

Any and all advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I AM A PROFESSIONAL. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Should I, or should'nt I

Refinishing will always take away value if the gun is in good condition otherwise, especially on a Winchester.

However, since it was your grandfathers, and if you plan on keeping it, then refinish it if you like.
    Just so long as you know the dollar value will drop.
    You'll still have sentimental value.

(Allegheny County)

If it was me, I'd leave it just the way it is and not for monetary reasons. I'd look at it as every one of the dings and wear spots were put there by my grandfather. It would remind me of him, every time I looked at the gun.

(York County)

Ok. enough said, I will keep it the way it is. The money value does kind of concern me. Just because if something would happen to me, and my kids dont want it. They get the best price possible when they sell it. Honestly I like the worn look anyways.

Thanks!

(Bucks County)

I would vote NO too. Especially if there is no pitting or abuse......

Your grandfather worked hard to thin that blueing through lots of use and thousands of rounds (not abuse). For me thats history.

You will put a lot of money to have it refinished properly........then it will likely be worth less and it will not be the way your grandfather left it.

(Allegheny County)

Let's start first by figuring out the actual market price of the shotgun. What is it? What's the model number, gauge, manufacturer of it?

Starting there would show you what the replacement value of it is.

Just because it was made in 1948 doesn't mean it's a gold nugget.
    "A free people ought to be armed."--George Washington

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by stringplucker View Post
    Let's start first by figuring out the actual market price of the shotgun. What is it? What's the model number, gauge, manufacturer of it?

Starting there would show you what the replacement value of it is.

Just because it was made in 1948 doesn't mean it's a gold nugget.
    1948 Winchester model 12, 12ga 2 3/4 full choke. I dont thinks its a gold nugget or a diamond in the rough. Even if it was I wouldn't sell it. Dont know how to figure out the market price (I had to buy it for 300)? No matter the market value. Like 39flathead posted
    Refinishing will always take away value if the gun is in good condition otherwise, especially on a Winchester
    Which is something I didnt know. I decided to keep my granfathers gun the way it is.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by coble View Post
    1948 Winchester model 12, 12ga 2 3/4 full choke. I dont thinks its a gold nugget or a diamond in the rough. Even if it was I wouldn't sell it. Dont know how to figure out the market price (I had to buy it for 300)? No matter the market value. Like 39flathead posted Which is something I didnt know. I decided to keep my granfathers gun the way it is.
    Maybe yes, maybe no...it depends on a few things.

Plain Barrel pricing: $325-575.
    Matted rib: $375-$600
    Vented rib: $475-$700

Prices are from the 16th edition of the GunDigest Book of Modern Gun Values. Judging from your explanation of condition, it would fall into the lower prices listed.

If it's something you're going to keep and use, think about reblueing the metal bits, and leaving the wood bits alone...or, better yet, replace the wood with a replacement stock and forend, and store the originals in your closet for later use.

A couple of hundred invested into a family heirloom that isn't heirloom quality, could bring this shotgun back to very usable and beautiful condition. Weigh the costs and the sentimental values, then make your decision.
    "A free people ought to be armed."--George Washington

Keep it just the way it is, and honor the "war wounds" it received from service to your grandfather.
    thegunsmithblog.com