Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: .38+p vs 38 Special

Nice photos. I use to have a Webley like that a long time ago. Brings back memories.

I'll order 500 of those from Midway tomorrow and test them for hardness when they get here. Then load a few and shoot some test targets of different types... denim wrapped water jugs ect...

That is a nice .38 mushroom for sure. How could anyone argue with that?

Then the next test will be out of the Model 66 with a 4" barrel.

If they were just not so darned expensive.......NOT....lol

(Cumberland County)

I'm sure it's been answered already, but .38 Special and .38 +P are the same round just like 9mm and 9mm +P. Or .223 and 5.56 ammo for example (technically they ARE different, but the difference is negligible). Just need to make sure the gun you're firing from is rated for +P ammo.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Giddyupgo View Post
    Nice photos. I use to have a Webley like that a long time ago. Brings back memories.

I'll order 500 of those from Midway tomorrow and test them for hardness when they get here. Then load a few and shoot some test targets of different types... denim wrapped water jugs ect...

That is a nice .38 mushroom for sure. How could anyone argue with that?

Then the next test will be out of the Model 66 with a 4" barrel.

If they were just not so darned expensive.......NOT....lol
    Good luck, and hope you will report back with your findings. BTW, I used current Alliant +P data, which is 6 grains max of Power Pistol, and it's the charge weight used to achieve the velocity listed. My expansion medium was plain water jugs, but I have found them and wet phone books to be pretty similar. I love PP in a lot of calibers, and if you have never used it before, it can get pretty boomy, and in some cals pretty good flash as I recall. Great accuracy, metering, and cleanliness in my experience is just icing on the cake with PP!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    +P means: overpressure.

You can have overpressure with less power. But it's the pressure that determines it's suitability for a given gun.
    The +Velocity sounds more useful.

A powder choice with a less then optimal burn rate for the task could create an over pressure situation at e.g. 50 fps, while a more suitable powder could keep pressure normal for SAAMI at a faster e.g. 60 fps.

My current Lyman book has +p 38 special data in it, which seems odd, because it's 10mm data is anemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns N'at View Post
    Good luck, and hope you will report back with your findings. BTW, I used current Alliant +P data, which is 6 grains max of Power Pistol, and it's the charge weight used to achieve the velocity listed. My expansion medium was plain water jugs, but I have found them and wet phone books to be pretty similar. I love PP in a lot of calibers, and if you have never used it before, it can get pretty boomy, and in some cals pretty good flash as I recall. Great accuracy, metering, and cleanliness in my experience is just icing on the cake with PP!
    I will report in for sure. I hope to figure out posting photos here as well. They are well worth more than a thousand words I think.

Yes, I am trying to get my Power Pistol involved in more calibers as well. At least the 9 and the 40. Sure makes things simpler.

Just opened a box of 500 Speer 158 grain swc hp's.

Will do a lead hardness test first and then see what happens....

Wow. Off the scale.... probably close to pure plumbers (PB) lead gonna guess BHN of maybe 6 or 6.5 which does bring up some low MAX psi figures for this round. The investigation continues....
    Last edited by Giddyupgo; February 10th, 2012 at 06:20 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123