Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default XDM magazine problem

Hello,

So I am having a strange issue with my 13 round xdm 45 acp factory magazine. When I load it up to 13 and put it in my firearm it makes a ruckus when moving it around, like a bullet is rattling around loose in the mag. When I take one round out, it does not do this. This is a recent development and has never been a problem before. Anyone have any ideas what is going on here?

Thanks ahead of time for any ideas.

Bob G

(Monroe County)

Default Re: XDM magazine problem

This is a common problem with auto loaders not just XD's . (double stack autoloaders that is)

There are some old posts on here about that problem and what people do to correct them.

Rule of thumb is that Some Auto loaders do not like odd numbers of ammunition e;g. 13, 11, 15 etc. .

I just remove the one round to even it out and i never had that problem again.
    I have never had that problem with any of my Glocks, Sigs or Berettas but some of my other guns do.

Try putting in 11 rounds and see if the problem returns being that its ok on 12 but not 13.
    Post back and let us know.

Default Re: XDM magazine problem

It's just a loose spot inside the mag where the bullet end of one of the cartridges isn't seated against the other two ( or the first one in, for that matter, isn't seated against the one on top of it) simply because as much as we'd like to believe everything in there is perfectly round or straight, it just isn't. When the floppy end of the cartridge hits the inside of the magazine wall, the spring picks up some of the sound (because parts of the spring are also against the mag wall) and transfers it to other parts of the mag, making it difficult to find exactly where the noise is coming from. Your 'sweet spot' may be under a full load. It happens with 6, 10, 8, whatever; with some magazines. Even if everything is perfectly straight, the spring can have more pressure on one side than the other at certain compression lengths and still allow the front (or rear, even) of one or two of the cartridges to flop around. When under pressure, these loose ends of the cartridges move around fast until they hit something (the mag wall) which also makes the noise amplified.

There isn't a lot you can do unless you attempt a reload and put the rounds in in a different order or be sure every round is seated to the back of the mag as you load it. In short, it's nothing to worry about, and just the way metal works when you cram a bunch of metal things together that are the same size, but give them some area to move around in. If the inside area of the mag was only a couple thousands bigger than the area needed to hold the area of the cartridges on top of each other, you would likely not hear anything moving around. FWIW, I've seen other makers do the same thing...HK, Taurus, Sig, and Browning just to name a few.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.