Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Coyote Hunting Questions

I'm an avid hunter and familiar with the deer and small game hunting but have a few questions about Coyote hunting and was hoping someone would be able to chime in.

1. Is there a caliber that you cannot hunt Coyote with in the state of PA?

2. Is night hunting Coyote legal on private property?

3. I read and heard that you do not need to wear orange when hunting them outside of deer season....is that true?

Also, any other tips you may want to throw my way.

Thanks
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer" - GSP

(Washington County)

Default Re: Coyote Hunting Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfighter33A View Post
    I'm an avid hunter and familiar with the deer and small game hunting but have a few questions about Coyote hunting and was hoping someone would be able to chime in.

3. I read and heard that you do not need to wear orange when hunting them outside of deer season....is that true?

Thanks
    www.pgc.state.pa.us
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Clinton County)

1. Buy a Fox Pro predator call - you can load a ton of call sounds on it
    2. Take a wood dowel and tie feathers on top with about 6in of free string to flap in the wind
    3. Ask a lot of questions and find out where people are seeing or hearing them
    4. Use a shotgun for woods or heavy cover hunting
    5. Sit longer at one spot in Pa then you would in the Western states
    6. Use snow to track them to den sites
    7. Use bait when possible
    8. Good luck--this is a tough game in Pa

(Schuylkill County)

I normally find more coyotes at the Gamelands with those good smelling roadkill pits. Don't set up on the pit but walk around until you find a trail marked heavy with scat and set up nearby. Scat marked trails are a territorial boundary and you increase your odds being on the edge of territories. During or just after a rain will also increase your odds because they are compelled to remark their territory. Spring and Summer are good because many females will have pups. They will not leave their pups unprotected at night so this forces them to hunt by day. Good Luck!

(Schuylkill County)

I dug up one of my Coyote pics for you. Most of my Coyote pics have been taken on State Gamelands.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Carbon County)

in pa, its usually better to hunt at night, june is a good time to use pup distress calls because that when they have the babies. you can use any gun you want. in the woods a shotgun with buck shot best bet. get a red light that will mount to your gun. most of the ones i shot ot seen shot in the day where people hunting deer, or turkey getting lucky and seeing one.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfighter33A View Post

Thanks
    1. Nope, anything is fair game
    2. Yes as well as SGL
    3. True, but you need a valid tag for the season in which you are hunting them unless you have a furbearers license. So if you shoot your spring gobbler you cannot hunt during valid spring gobbler hours. If you want to go out during the bear season you need a bear license, etc. Another one to keep in mind is hunting during the archery season you'd need an archery tag and can only use a bow, again unless you have your furbearer license.

Very tough to hunt them in PA because you can't see as far as you'd like. During the summer when its very thick they'll approach and you won't even know. Lots of tips on huntingpa.com, highly recommended.
    Stay armed my friends.

(Schuylkill County)

I honestly think during the day this time of year is the best. You just need fields thickets and nearby forest.

The previous pic I posted was from June 15th.

5 days later june 20th same gamelands just a few hundred yards away I found another one on the opposite side of the scat boundary. I heard the pups and waited around taking pictures of other things when eventually she came out 10 yards away.

over 2 months later on August 24th I snuck up on the same one from June 15that was trying to ambush hunt a Groundhog.

I try and atleast remember my orange hat, I never used bait, or a call, and I never sat around waiting in a blind. I hunt by quietly tracking and stalking. Of course I'm not a badass hunter. I'm out there learning about Predator/Prey relationships, Fight or flight reactions, and documenting the wildlife of PA while I'm at it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lancaster County)

Do people shoot them around chicken houses much around here? Other places in the country it's like a giant chum slick for them.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Good reading...I am about to start with my son and wondering what game land is good. Cant wait to go....all ready but no place to hunt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast