Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Local police check card

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and I am looking to get my LTCF. I live in Red Hill and we are covered under PA state police. The next town over is the Upper Perk police, but they do not have jurisdiction in Red Hill. Am I still able to take the local police check card to them or will I have to go to the closest PA state police station (Skippack)?

Thanks for your time!
    Dave

(York County)

Default Re: Local police check card

Dave, thanks for joining us! There are many threads that peripherally mention the local check card that some of the eastern counties require. Though I've never had to get one filled out, the general consensus is that the card is not required by state law. There has been more than a few people who toss them in the trash, save $20, and still end up with a LTCF. Just read up on the STATE requirements so you can speak intelligently about the subject when a local sheriff gives you grief. You will find all you need to know and more if you spend some time perusing this website!

P.s. some counties may make you wait all 45 days if you don't turn in your check card; alsome make you wait 45 days with it too!!

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been doing some reading before posting this and found that the check card isn't required, but it can help with getting your permit quicker. I definitely have no intentions of paying to have it completed by the local pd, so if they try to charge me, I will say no thanks and walk out the door.

I read that there are times when you get to the Montco courthouse and are able to walk away with the permit within an hour as well. I guess it depends on the sheriff's mood that day.

I was just hoping that I could make a 5 minute car ride to the closest police station rather than a 25 minute ride to the local state police station.

I believe Montgomery County is the only PA county to "require" this check card.

From what others have said here, it seems that if you take the card to your local cops, the sheriff will issue your LTCF quickly.

If not, they will take up to the 45 days to issue it

(Montgomery County)

Smile Re: Local police check card

Quote Originally Posted by crashdummybip View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have been doing some reading before posting this and found that the check card isn't required, but it can help with getting your permit quicker. I definitely have no intentions of paying to have it completed by the local pd, so if they try to charge me, I will say no thanks and walk out the door.

I read that there are times when you get to the Montco courthouse and are able to walk away with the permit within an hour as well. I guess it depends on the sheriff's mood that day.

I was just hoping that I could make a 5 minute car ride to the closest police station rather than a 25 minute ride to the local state police station.
    Was able to get my license in under 20 minutes at Montco Sheriff Dept. a few weeks ago in the afternoon with a local PD card from Upper Merion. I was amazed at the speed.

(Montgomery County)

RESIST THIS EXTRA STEP AT ALL COSTS! Especially if your local PD charges you.

It's "only" 45 days. It took them about 35 to allow mine.

This of course is a slap in the face to people who come from most other counties. I grew up in Berks. My first LTCF (which was in Berks) was an in and out in 15 minutes, no card required. I know how it's supposed to be, and so I fought it. My wife did too, she just dropped her application off on Monday.

It also bears mentioning that this card nonsense is only for the first time applicant. If renewing, no need for the card.
    Last edited by bluetrane2028; June 7th, 2013 at 01:40 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Just wanted to say how quick and easy it was to get my LTCF. I went to the local state police on Thursday. The following Monday, I went to the courthouse since they had my my check card and I was issued my LTCF that day. In and out in about 15 minutes!! Basically only 4 days to get my license!! Not too shabby!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by crashdummybip View Post
    Just wanted to say how quick and easy it was to get my LTCF. I went to the local state police on Thursday. The following Monday, I went to the courthouse since they had my my check card and I was issued my LTCF that day. In and out in about 15 minutes!! Basically only 4 days to get my license!! Not too shabby!
    Wow, 4 days and you had to make trips to multiple places. In other counties that actually follow the law, Lancaster for example, I parked 1 block away, put in 2 quarters for 40 minutes of time in the meter. Walked to the court house, filled out the paper work waited for the deputy to make the call. Got my picture taken and got my card and made it back to my car with time to spare on the meter.

Yup, jumping through illegal hoops really made your life easier.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Nowhere in my reply did I say that my life was made easier, or that I agreed with the police check card. I was just stating that if you follow the Montgomery County "requirements" that you can get the license in a few days.

(Schuylkill County)

Wow I never heard of a check card. Insane!

Are all LTCF's picture cards now? Mine is just a piece of paper.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast