Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Local police check card

I went to the courthouse in Norristown yesterday to apply for the first time. Did not complete the check card, as I'm in West Norriton, and have heard they charge for it.

I handed over my application, and was asked if I had the check card. I said I did not. The officer said he'd get me one, and I responded that it was my understanding that it was preferred, but not required by state law. He told me that it'd make things much faster, but I told him I'm not in a rush. He didn't give me any trouble whatsoever and was pleasant throughout. Told me they'd call when I can come in to have my picture taken.

Now we'll have to see how long it takes.

(Montgomery County)

I guess I'm lucky in that my township doesn't charge for this form. In fact It was completed 15 minutes after I dropped it off. I went to the court house at the end of December and walked out in 15 minutes with my LTCF in hand. It does help if you have it so that is why I wanted to make sure I had the form with me so that I didn't have to be inconvenienced with trying to find time to get back to the court house to finish the process.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by dcg View Post
    I went to the courthouse in Norristown yesterday to apply for the first time. Did not complete the check card, as I'm in West Norriton, and have heard they charge for it.

I handed over my application, and was asked if I had the check card. I said I did not. The officer said he'd get me one, and I responded that it was my understanding that it was preferred, but not required by state law. He told me that it'd make things much faster, but I told him I'm not in a rush. He didn't give me any trouble whatsoever and was pleasant throughout. Told me they'd call when I can come in to have my picture taken.

Now we'll have to see how long it takes.
    Update - I never did receive a call, but called in a few days after the 45 day window. Was told my application had been approved, and was in and out with my license in about 15 minutes. Not sure how long it had been sitting there approved - guess I should have called earlier.

(Montgomery County)

Update - I never did receive a call, but called in a few days after the 45 day window. Was told my application had been approved, and was in and out with my license in about 15 minutes. Not sure how long it had been sitting there approved - guess I should have called earlier.
    You should not have to call, how hard is it for them to call you?
    Glad you got it.
    I suspect the new Sheriff is not going to be bending over backwards to improve the issuance process.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Glad you got it.
    I suspect the new Sheriff is not going to be bending over backwards to improve the issuance process.
    You are probably correct. Montgomery County is the new Philadelphia in demographics and liberalism. Nothing will change there for the better.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by LTCcarrier View Post
    You are probably correct. Montgomery County is the new Philadelphia in demographics and liberalism. Nothing will change there for the better.
    You seem to have very strong opinions of Montgomery county for someone living in "N/A Florida". Is there a particular reason for this?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Glad you got it.
    I certainly agree that I should not have had to call. Thinking about it further, I'm wondering if they just ran PICS when I called in and approved based on that. I'm not sure if that's a possibility, but I was put on hold for a bit, then asked to confirm my birth date, put on hold some more, then told I was approved. Neither of my references were contacted.

(Montgomery County)

I certainly agree that I should not have had to call. Thinking about it further, I'm wondering if they just ran PICS when I called in and approved based on that. I'm not sure if that's a possibility, but I was put on hold for a bit, then asked to confirm my birth date, put on hold some more, then told I was approved. Neither of my references were contacted.
    From what I have heard, they are replicating what they would get if the local PD filled out the card. They contact your local PD to see if you are "known" to them (I guess meaning have had serious run-ins that did not result in arrest). I figure that any Sheriff that does not issue on the spot is checking with the applicants local PD.

I have also heard that they have a deputy do a drive-by past your house to verify the address, though I don't see the point in that (all they would really be able to verify is that there is a house where you claim to live, but not who lives there).

I've never heard of anyone saying that they had their references contacted.

(Bucks County)

I forget which background check they actually checked with all my references. And long, something like 30 minutes over the phone. I think it was Border Patrol background check back in the early 90's. Or it could have been PSP.(doing a pics check )

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by LTCcarrier View Post
    I don't think "Montco" is the new "Philly".

Though, I will say, it has always been a battleground county in the State and the Country.
    ....Then Piers Morgan came on and I almost got a concussion from facepalming so hard.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast