Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lawrence County)

Default First AR Build (on a budget)

So, Ive always wanted an AR. Wanted to build one for a while then kinda got my mind changed when I seen a S&W MP15 Sport for $630 but I couldn't bring my self to spend the money on it at the time.

Then the whole AWB panic started, and it gave me a push to jump in.

So this is my first build and unfortunately I don't think its my last.

Specs:
    Anderson Mfg. stripped lower
    Palmetto overmold LPK
    Magpul Enhanced Trigger Gaurd
    Blackhawk! Mil-Spec stock kit
    Windham Weaponry BCG
    BCM Mod 4 charging handle
    Del-Ton 16" HBar midlength upper assembly

Ruger Rapid Deploy rear BUIS is on order.

This is just Version 1.0, was trying to buy cheap, in stock items that I wanted, but ended buying more on the side of in stock than what I wanted just to get it done by this weekend.

Items for the immediate future when in stock and/or money permits
    Magpul MOE stock kit in OD
    UTG mid length Free Float rail

Side note: sorry for the pictures, was more concerned with building then getting all fancy with the DSLR, so cell pics it is.

(Chester County)

Default Re: First AR Build (on a budget)

Wait save money and part together a quality AR, they are not all built the same, for one thing toss the UTG in the trash, they ate crap, get rid of the Blackhawk stock kit, grab a BCM M4 kit with an H buffer to start, the MOE is ok but your spending 50 for it save an extra 50 and get the STR, check out Troy folding sights and also FF rails. Buy me a beer later
    check out my Photo page: http://www.facebook.com/Blak1508

(Perry County)

Now that you have an AR I would just relax and shoot it for a year or so. Then you will have had time for the market to stabilize and time to get to know what you want in your next build. For example if you decide that your main use will be shooting targets or 3-gun matches, you will want a very different set up than if you are looking to mimic an entry teams rifle or a policeman trunk gun.

It is too bad that you had to buy and build in the middle of a panic, but at least now you have an AR to learn on and enjoy. Your next build should be tailored to your desires and dreams, and hopefully build with parts that are more reasonably priced and readily available.

(Lawrence County)

Thumbs up Re: First AR Build (on a budget)

Quote Originally Posted by Blak1508 View Post
    Wait save money and part together a quality AR, they are not all built the same, for one thing toss the UTG in the trash, they ate crap, get rid of the Blackhawk stock kit, grab a BCM M4 kit with an H buffer to start, the MOE is ok but your spending 50 for it save an extra 50 and get the STR, check out Troy folding sights and also FF rails. Buy me a beer later
    Thank you for the sound input. Well most UTG stuff is garbage, or adapted airsoft stuff, their Free Float system seems to be very well put together and the only complaints are the weight. The Blackhawk kit was a $32 use it right now, put it into spare parts bin later purchase. Like I said, this is Ver. 1.0 and things will get upgraded as prices come down and stock goes up.

Now that you have an AR I would just relax and shoot it for a year or so. Then you will have had time for the market to stabilize and time to get to know what you want in your next build. For example if you decide that your main use will be shooting targets or 3-gun matches, you will want a very different set up than if you are looking to mimic an entry teams rifle or a policeman trunk gun.

It is too bad that you had to buy and build in the middle of a panic, but at least now you have an AR to learn on and enjoy. Your next build should be tailored to your desires and dreams, and hopefully build with parts that are more reasonably priced and readily available.
    Thank you for understanding the purpose of this build. All the items were bought at close to pre-panic pricing, and were in stock. All being acquired in the past couple months.

I do plan on bigger better builds, but like you said this will hold me over until the panic fizzles and things get back to normal. Who knows the market may become saturated and prices may become dramatically low for a short time.

(Montgomery County)

You have a complete rifle. I would skip the rails for now, especially a cheap quadrail which will weigh a lot and not be comfortable to hold anyways. If you decide you really need something mounted, a MOE hand guard with a rail or two added on would be a good cost effective choice. You can also re-sell your existing hand guard and recoup most of the cost of the switch.

I'd just run it as it is for a while, and if anything breaks replace the broken part with a better one. IMO, you don't "need" a BCM BCG just to go to the range or even for home defense in the context of a rifle that hasn't been shot a whole lot. If it runs well, you can rely on it.

(Armstrong County)

Way to step out and git-r-dun, nice build ............ we all can't wait to save for that Noveske, DD, Larue, and Trijjy overbuild!

Shoot the *&#@ out of it and have fun!
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Beaver County)

Skip the UTG. For the cost diff, this is still kinda heavy, but I have three of these and love them.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/yan...e-shipping-whi

(Lawrence County)

Appreciate all the good feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    Skip the UTG. For the cost diff, this is still kinda heavy, but I have three of these and love them.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/yan...e-shipping-whi
    Hmmm, must of missed that one. Not bad $89 from Primary for the Midlength unit. The cheapest FFs I was seeing was in the $120ish range.

Starting to be up in the air. My main reason for a railed hand guard was to free float it, and have a spot for a light and possibly an AFG, But...more I think about it, this build might be better served with an MOE hand guard with the light kit. Save the spiffy stuff for the better builds.

Too many choices, damn AR bug.
    Last edited by waiting2burn; May 30th, 2013 at 03:44 AM.

(Beaver County)

Depending how long you wait to make your next move, I wouldn't mind you trying out my various setups or even feeling the weight of the rails too. I don't get home until almost the end of summer, but I have lots of building/assembling to do so if you need any help I can be of some assistance. I'm still learning but I've done 6 complete ground up assemblies since May 2012, all varying setups.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    Depending how long you wait to make your next move, I wouldn't mind you trying out my various setups or even feeling the weight of the rails too. I don't get home until almost the end of summer, but I have lots of building/assembling to do so if you need any help I can be of some assistance. I'm still learning but I've done 6 complete ground up assemblies since May 2012, all varying setups.
    I appreciate the offer. Not sure what my next big step is going to be, or when it will be. Sounds like you have more time into the AR game then myself although I do have a lot of research time.
    The bug has for sure got me, Im already planning my next build(s).
    When you get back around this way let me know. If for anything can make it a day of shooting.