Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default My thoughts after a F.I.R.E. Institute 3 day basic defensive carbine class

Pete and his assistants did a great job covering the Combat Triad. The Modern Technique of defensive firearms is composed of the three elements of marksmanship, gunhandling and mind set. Pete covers all these elements extremely well.

I've taken marksmanship classes and marksmanship classes which include gun handling. Looking back, unless mindset is emphasized, I think those classes were incomplete. This is the first class I've taken that emphasizes mindset equally to the other elements. The weapon is just a tool, you fight with your mind. This was not a high round count class, but it was a high knowledge class. Shooting 1700 rounds in three days might be fun, but for me exposure to the Combat Triad is much more important.

I have never experienced focusing on a threat like I did for this class. And focusing makes me a better marksman. While I didn't become a mall ninja tactical warrior operator I feel more confident with my carbine and any other weapon I carry. Gun handling and marksmanship is different for each weapon but the mindset can be used with any weapon or even without a weapon.

We ran a lot of drills at various distances and reload drills and malfunction drills. Malfunction drills are important because pretty much everyone experienced a real malfunction during the class. Mine were from a bad magazine.

For me the highlight was the simulator. Walking down into a gully and identifying targets from friendlies. Decision making is critical. It was a difficult course which tested everyone there. There is a saying that you learn from your mistakes. Let's just say I learned from the simulator.

Being a good shot just isn't enough. - Me
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: My thoughts after a F.I.R.E. Institute 3 day basic defensive carbine class

Dave,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with the forum. We appreciate it.

And for the record, you do shoot better than you throw.