Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Sig Sauer P226 vs. Springfield XD9 5" - Help me decide

I'm trying to decide between these two guns. Which would recommend, and why? The Sig is considerably more expensive. Is it worth it?

The gun will be used for:

1. Target practice
    2. Occasional OC for SD
    3. Nightstand gun

I will be shooting lead bullets through whatever I get. Neither of these guns use polygonal rifling, do they?

Thanks!
    Dave

Default Re: Sig Sauer P226 vs. Springfield XD9 5" - Help me decide

When Cathy was looking, we simply could not justify spending several hundred dollarss more for a Sig than for a Springfield Armory XD9. She also chose the 5" Tactical model. It's not a choice we've regretted. She absolutely loves her gun.

It's quite accurate with just about anything we've put in it. I've been tinkering with various loads for 147 gr cast bullets, with some good success. I chose the 147 because it's slower, which means less risk of leading. I've had issues with leading in other 9mms using lighter faster bullets in the past. Haven't tried them in her Tactical. We've had no issues with leading so far in her gun.

It's proven to be very reliable. As of yesterday, we have 700 rounds through it, with 3 failures, all FTEs. All 3 can be traced to user and/or ammo issues. The first was when my then 7 y/o boy shot it. I'd only loaded one, but if you look at the video on youtube you can see it didn't matter. Gun came way back, and the slide didn't have a chance to cycle. 2nd was when Cathy started learning to shoot one hand, weak hand, and did pretty much the same thing, limp wristed big time. 3rd was yesterday. I was experimenting with using Winchester 231 instead of Bullseye for the 147 grain lead bullets, and was using what was very much a minimum load. It barely cycled the XD9 and her S&W 59. Near the end of the day, as her gun dirtied, the cases were kind of dribbling out of the gun and landing on the bench next to her, and one of them didn't quite make it. Had the same weak slide cycling with the Model 59, but she didn't shoot it enough to dirty it up. The load was adequately accurate, but I'll bump it up for the next batch to compare with the Bullseye, if I bother. Might just save the W231 for lighter JHPs if I load some and the occasional .38 Special loads. It doesn't seem to be a particularly popular choice for heavier 9mm bullets. I do know that I'll be using Bullseye for the Hornady 147 gr XTP/JHPs we bought yesterday for our stockpile.

The gun works well with all types of ammo. We've used ball, 115 JHP standard and +Ps, 124 JHP standard, +P and +P+, 135 JHP +Ps, and of course 147 grain JHP and the lead round nose flat points I've been loading for our practice. It feeds them all with no problems, for whatever reason seems to shoot to almost the same point of aim regardless of ammo type and velocity. It's an easy pointing, well balanced, lightweight for the size gun, more comfortable to our hands than the Glocks or the Sigs. It's very mild in recoil, and recovers on target quickly. It's even comfortable tucked IWB once you get used to the barrell length.

I like the ambidextrous mag release, well shielded on both sides against accidental release. I also like the grip safety, which requires you to have a firing grip on the gun for it to fire. Like most all modern semi-autos, take down is bone simple, and takes about 15 seconds. I've read early versions had a finish that was relatively fragile, an issue that was supposed to have been fixed by the time Cathy bought hers. Their fix seems to have worked. With the exception of the end of the barrel and just around the chamber (places you'd expect to see minor finish wear by this time), there is absolutely no visible wear at all. It's even simpler to use than the Sig, without even a decocking lever. Just mag releases and slide lock/release.

I wasn't a fan of the trigger when she first bought the gun, but by 400 rounds it had smoothed and lightened, and is quite nice now. All in all, I think she made the right choice. I can't see what the extra $400 she would have spent on the Sig would have gotten us that would be worth the price. At most, maybe a fancier name. $400 dollars buys a lot of ammo, or another gun.

I tried thinking of some negatives about the gun, but I really can't think of any. I'd have no problem buying one for myself... an option that is actually appealing to me.
    Last edited by JoeWilliams; April 21st, 2008 at 09:08 AM.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Philadelphia County)

I can't remember if the SIG is DA/SA. If so, for that reason, I'd stick with the XD.

I hate decockers and DA first shots. Just my preference. They're both very good guns.

(Monroe County)

I think SIG P226 are going for like 300 for used due to German police which really removes the cost issue.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I think SIG P226 are going for like 300 for used due to German police which really removes the cost issue.
    You show me a 226 in good condition for 300 and I'll buy it.

(Monroe County)

(Cambria County)

Sig's are amazing firearms, the best DA/SA trigger I've ever felt, and that opinion is shared by most people who've owner or fired Sig Sauers. BUT, it's not necessarily a better gun, it's just in a different class.

If you want a DA/SA+decocker type pistol, the Sig is the way to go.

If you want the same trigger pull for each shot, the XD is the way to go.

Both are highly customizable, both are quality firearms, Springfield has faster (and IMHO, better) warranty and customer service (SA is one of the best in the industry, period). It comes down not to which is the better gun, but rather, which type of trigger you prefer.

For a nightstand gun, I'd be inclined towards the Sig, the DA trigger is long enough that it would be a little more difficult to negligently discharge the gun when fumbling around after being woken up from slumber. A manual safety would be even better; SA does make an XD with a manual safety as I recall.

(Lackawanna County)

While I have not shot the P226 (my next handgun btw) I have shot other Sigs and I love the trigger and the DA/SA aspect.

I wansnt a huge fan of the grip saftey on the XD, seemed like one more thing you needed to worry about in a defensive situation.

My vote goes for the P226. I like the idea of a lighter trigger pull and easier follow up shot, with having the initial DA pull, especially if its my nightstand gun. Like Nineseven said its all comes down to trigger/personal preference.

Plus, its a Sig
    Last edited by Salt; April 21st, 2008 at 01:24 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

I would also have to vote for the Sig. DA/SA is the best of both worlds for me. Safe and an excellent shooter. DAO or "Safe-Action" (Glock)...whatever you want to call it, gives a long and relatively heavy trigger pull. If this is mostly a range gun, the SA trigger of the Sig makes it a dream to shoot. The trigger pull is super short when the hammer is cocked, and when the trigger is pulled, it breaks like glass. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Springfield...I also was at least a little concerned with a grip safety, but no big deal. When it comes to firearms, I always ask myself, "Would I be proud to pass this down to my kids/grandkids?" Sig has that all locked up in my book. They are legendary. Bottom line....shoot em both. BUY the one you like better. If they are equal, buy the less expensive one. Good luck.

(Berks County)

I own a Sig 226 9mm and an XD45. I know.....slightly different but basically the same. The Sig has the most comfortable grip of any pistol I have ever held. Operates perfectly and is accurate. The XD is the same although I can't compare the grip honestly due to the caliber difference possibly changing the size.(not as comfortable though.

At this point I would trust my life to either pistol. IMHO it comes down to personal opinion and the size of your wallet. Go to the store and hold them both....that may help you decide. If your still up in the air it may come down to money.

Personally I would say if you have the money buy the Sig. Can't go wrong with a Sig.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast