Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Re: Sig Sauer P226 vs. Springfield XD9 5" - Help me decide

I would not feel unarmed with either gun. I do not, however, like the "feel" of the XD. Passed up a XD 9mm 5" in 99% condition for $300 at a show a while back. I am thinking of getting a 226 or 228. To help with the cost see if you can find a dealer with the Sig factory rebuilt guns, I have seen them for $475 at shows.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    I'm trying to decide between these two guns. Which would recommend, and why? The Sig is considerably more expensive. Is it worth it?

The gun will be used for:

1. Target practice
    2. Occasional OC for SD
    3. Nightstand gun

I will be shooting lead bullets through whatever I get. Neither of these guns use polygonal rifling, do they?

Thanks!
    Dave
    Have you been able to shoot each?
    I think that would make your decision easier.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. S View Post
    Have you been able to shoot each?
    I think that would make your decision easier.
    No, the gun shop I frequent does not have a range on hand, and I do now know anyone that owns either gun. They both feel good in my hand. I'm going to have to buy one or the other without firing either of them, which makes the decision is tougher, and is also why I'm looking for opinions.

No, the gun shop I frequent does not have a range on hand, and I do now know anyone that owns either gun. They both feel good in my hand. I'm going to have to buy one or the other without firing either of them, which makes the decision is tougher, and is also why I'm looking for opinions.
    Aren't you near Reading? We shoot almost every weekend near Moselem Springs. If you'd like to at least get your hands on an XD9 Tactical, let me know. Cathy's always glad to share

Can't help you with the Sig, though. We owned a P239 a few years ago. I did like the gun then, but when I considered buying one recently I couldn't stand the way it felt in my hand. Really surprised me.

Edit: Just occurred to me that if you are not familiar with a DA/SA pistol, we've also got a Model 59 you can try out to see what you think of the action. Also, if you shoot at our range, we cannot have guests. You actually have to join the club, which you can do right there at the range. $20 for the 1st year, $10 per year thereafter if you like it. Not all bad, covered firing positions, a nice range, and another place to shoot could always be handy.
    Last edited by JoeWilliams; April 21st, 2008 at 09:24 PM.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    I can't remember if the SIG is DA/SA. If so, for that reason, I'd stick with the XD.

I hate decockers and DA first shots. Just my preference. They're both very good guns.
    ditto.
    The DA/SA is alway so attrctive in theory, until you try to shoot the damn things with that looooooooong HEAVY pull followed by the short BAM BAM BAM. Not for me. I have owned two DA/SA and that played a large part in mt decision to sell them both.

I own an XDSC9 right now, love it, and quality and performance are no issue.

(Bucks County)

Both are very fine pistols sir...This day and age, it all comes down to personal preference and comfort...Both guns will pound rounds down range for many years to come with little or no troubles...I have experience with both so i will throw down a few pros and cons of my own...

Sig...

Pros---hellandback reliability, handsome ( if you care about that ), ergonomics of it are very comfortable and accuracy is topnotch...

Cons---It is still all iron ( if you care about the weight ) and pricey...

XD

Pros---value for what you pay is second to none, accurate in right hands, reliable, lightweight compared to the Siggie and ergos are very comfy also...

Cons---it took a while to get used to it but thats about it...
    No Ticky...No Laundry...

(Montgomery County)

I would recommend shooting both and then decide which one you like best.
    Both are great guns and should serve you well.

If you don't want a DA/SA gun, the Sig can be had with the DAK (double action only) trigger system.

If you want to come to Classic Pistol in Southampton, I'd be more than happy to let you shoot one of my three P226s. I believe they also have the Spingfield XD9 as a rental. PM me if you'd like.

When it comes to something as important as a tool that might save your life, don't let $200-$300 play into your decision.

BTW - unless you buy a P226ST, the P226s (and all "P" series Sigs) have an alloy frame.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

I personally own a Sig P226, and my friend owns a XD9 that I have shot a few times. We both bought our pistols when we were amateurs, and we both felt that his was much easier to shoot accurately initially. For some reason, my Sig seemed to have a steep learning curve. I could shoot his pistol accurately as soon as I picked it up, but mine took much more practice. I really have no explanation for why this was the case. To this day, my friends who use my Sig still have much difficulty firing it accurately.

Now that I am more accustomed to my P226, I find that it is an extremely accurate gun. I have also only had 2-3 malfunctions out of literally 2-3 thousand rounds, and these were all due to limp-wristing early on. One thing you might consider is that except for the DA pull, there is no external safety on the P226. With the XD, you have the grip safety and the safety on the trigger (although these are two more things that could possibly malfunction and prevent firing). The Sig is a great gun, but I didn't really have any complaints about the XD series either. I think you will be happy with either.

(Chester County)

Targetmaster in within driving distance of you. They have both to rent.

IMO, get the Sig. They're more pleasant to shoot, and they tend to hold up better.

If I wanted a gun like the XD...I'd buy a Glock or M&P first.

Buying a gun without shooting it first is like sitting a car, making "vroom! vroom!" sounds with your mouth, then saying "I'll take this one!"
    Last edited by synergy; April 21st, 2008 at 11:41 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Agree with the ideas of renting them....as far as Classic Pistol in Southampton goes, I'm pretty sure they have a 226 in 9mm to rent. That's the very gun that convinced me of Sig. Also, Targetmaster has both....I know it's a bit of a drive from Berks Co., but if you're ever in the area. Anyone know if French Creek Outfitters has either?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast