Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default New Eyes and Ears

It is time for me to get new eyes and ears. I am looking for eyes that have interchangeable lens (indoor and outdoor range). Also looking for good ears that I don't need double protection (I.E ears plus earplugs). Any suggestions for brands, models, locations to buy in the great Philadelphia area. Also what are estimate prices for the eyes and ears. Thank you in advance,
    Nick.
    I will die, You will die, we all will die, just not today Patton, Battle of the Bulge.

(York County)

Default Re: New Eyes and Ears

you must be 49, like me.

(Northampton County)

I don't have them and last I heard they are pretty expensive, but I have heard excellent reviews about custom-fit earplugs.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rmagill View Post
    I don't have them and last I heard they are pretty expensive, but I have heard excellent reviews about custom-fit earplugs.
    I had a pair made by Instamold in Oaks PA. Cost is under $50 and there is a discount for LPRGC members (the woman who sells them and molds your ear is a member and will do them for you right at the club).

I use them on the indoor range shooting .38+P, 9mm and .45. That range gets noisy but they work great. I even use then on the rifle range during organized shoots, shooting my Mosin next to guys shooting Garrands and AR-10s.

If you really want something cheap, but effective, try the electronic muffs from Harbor Freight. They are pretty effective, though I cant wear any muffs and shoulder any long guns.

As far as eyes, King has a nice selection in the $15-20 range. I cannot stress how important good eye protection is. On a short indoor range, it is not uncommon to have copper or lead bits splash back at the firing line. When you have one hit your cheek you will glad you are wearing good specs.

(Columbia County)

Eyes: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/253-cm-40051.html

These are the glasses I wear 95% of the time, very comfortable. The very slight tint helps to increase contrast, which is nice on the range. I don't know how dark your indoor range is, but I imagine they would work. For the price, get all three lenses offered. There is also a plastic framed version for a little cheaper.

Don't limit yourself only to items that say "shooting" on them.
    These are not "shooting", but safety glasses, and they are ANSI Z87 approved, which means they meet the same requirements as shooting glasses (your shooting glasses will say ANSI Z87 on them somewhere).
    They let me play with chemicals!

(Northampton County)

Caldwell makes a decent set of electronic muffs for $30 and can be found at Dicks.

Howard Leight Impact Sports are also extremely popular and are $45 from Amazon

I have both and havent had to double up with the Caldwells ... havent used the Impact Sports indoors yet

If budget is open ... MSA Sordin with gel earcups

As for eyes -- budget? Rudy Project, Wiley X, Oakley

(Montgomery County)

Default Suggested ears

You will find that passive rather than electronic ear muffs will offer a better Noise Reduction Rating (NRR). The NRR is expressed in Decibels (dB) and the bigger the number, the better the protection. The highest NRR I am aware of is 33dB on an expensive set of muffs. In general, muffs with a high NRR will have larger cups. This may be an issue for rifle shooters. Each increase of 3 dB reduces the acoustic power experienced by the ear by a factor of 2. To put this another way, if you wear earplugs with an NRR of 25 dB under a set of muffs with an NRR of 25 dB, the combined protection has an NRR of 28, not 50.

Midway sells two affordable sets of hearing protectors with an NRR of 30dB:

Midway Ultimate 10 (made by Peltor) - $17.99

Howard Leight L3 Leightning - $24.99

I own a set of each and find both comfortable and effective for pistol shooting. (Rifle shooters may find the large cups force a change of cheek position.) I have no affiliation with Midway other than being a customer.
    Last edited by DocFox; May 31st, 2013 at 12:29 PM.